Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Replacing Hops In This Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
inkman15
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Replacing Hops In This Recipe

I'm looking to brew the Deception Stout (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/deception-cream-stout-141483/) recipe from here and it calls for German Magnum hops.

I have some leftover Cascade and Centennial hops from my previous batch. Would either of them work with this recipe in your opinion?

Primary: Empty
Drinking: Centennial Blonde, Citra SMaSH

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 927 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 1998

For cream stouts, you usually don't want much more from your hops than a clean bitterness that balances the maltiness. I often use organic Pacific Gem hops in my cream stouts, a pretty high alpha acid hop without a strong flavor.

Of the two varieties of hops you have, I think I'd go with the Centennial - less citrusy than the Cascade, perhaps. When you substitute, you'll want to take into account the alpha acid of the hops so that you get the right IBUs in your beer. You can figure this out using brewing software like Beersmith, or you can ask someone here, if you need help.

Good luck with your cream stout - one of my favorite beers to brew and drink. http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/sweet-stout.html

Jim

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply