Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Repitch from incorrect pitch rate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
JRawl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Repitch from incorrect pitch rate?

So, you guys have probably answered this a thousand times, but I can't seem to find an answer for my problem. I brewed my second batch two days ago. It is a partial mash Irish Red Ale non-kit brew. My OG was 1.070. I aerated and pitched one packet of Wyeast 1084 at 70 degrees. Not thinking about it at the time and after doing a little research, I think I may have under-pitched. Fermentation started 24 hours after pitching and is still going strong at 48+ hours.

Should I repitch another packet or so of 1084?

Is it too late to do that?

Is it even worth it?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2010, 01:31 AM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I would wait and see if it drops to the correct FG. You definitely under-pitched, but if it's fermenting I wouldn't worry about it too much. I under pitched a lot of batches before I learned about pitching rates, and they almost all made good beer.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 09-21-2010, 01:47 AM   #3
BioBeing
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Let it go now. Adding more yeast would only be a drop in the bucket compared to how many you have in their now, unless you made a HUGE starter, which would mean more time.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Quote:
Fermentation started 24 hours after pitching and is still going strong at 48+
Sounds like it's working just fine. There are a few styles where under-pitching changes the flavor and a few where over-pitching is a problem, but most of the time pitch rate just changes how quickly the fermentation starts and 24 hours is good.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
JRawl
Recipes 

UPDATE:

Its been a week since brewing, so I decided to take a gravity reading. Gravity is at 1.018. I tasted what I had tested and it had a fairly strong alcohol taste, but very close to what I have tasted of Irish reds. Its almost close to a scotch ale, but a lot lighter in color. I think its going to be a beast after conditioning!

Quick Reply