Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Repeat of Boil question in Gen Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
BOBTHEukBREWER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Repeat of Boil question in Gen Discussion

I suppose I got shunted off the page by weekend inactivity and am now lost for posterity, so I ask again - I cannot boil 6 gals at once, so can I split brew in half, boil cool add ALL yeast, boil cool add to first half. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 446 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Hey Bob, without knowing your recipe and type of brew (extract, pm, ag) it is hard to say. The main concern would be the hop schedule. Hop utilization is affected by boil volume, which is the main concern with what you are considering. Sure, you can do it, you just need to alter you hop quantities a bit to compensate.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 11-24-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 486

If you have two smaller pots, just split the boil that way. If not, I wouldn't add the yeast until the second half is combined. But dividing your wort and hops into two equal boils should work fine.

Edit:
Looking at the Grinder post below, I stand corrected. I would guess that adding the yeast early has something to do with getting the process started to lower the risk of contamination. Let us know how you make out.

Billy-Klubb

Old 11-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Bob - without a doubt you can do that. Palmer talks about that process in a podcast I was listening to just last week. I was surprised that he suggested adding the yeast to batch one and then adding the wort to the already fermenting yeast but . . . . . I GUESS since HE said ti was OK . . . it is.

Just split the hops in half - it'll be like two small batches combined into one.

What I've been doing is just boiling two 1/2 batches at once. Get's a little dicey when both pots want to have their hot break at the same time but I now stagger the boils by 5 minutes (happens naturally with slightly different pots).

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
BOBTHEukBREWER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

thanks, everybody, next brew I do it, the main problem is, in the UK, it is not possible to buy a 3 kilowatt electric heating ring any more, I had one, it bust, can't replace.

Quick Reply