Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Remove dry hops before cold crash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Projectfdw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Remove dry hops before cold crash

I have 3oz of citra dryhopping in a muslin bag in my zombie dust clone. Threw them directly into primary. Looking to cold crash tonight. Any thoughts on removing the hops before the cold crash. I put marbles into the bag to sink them. Just worried if I cold crash with the hops, it may rouse the yeast. Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 254

so the bag of hops has sunk and is sitting at the bottom of the fermenter? or is it still floating, because there aren't enough marbles to fully sink it?

not sure what you're worried about - cold crashing with hops will not rouse the yeast. it's not like the hops are going to nose-dive and violently crash into the yeast cake. they will sink slowly over several days. don't worry about the hops, just cold-crash.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small second runnings beer
Aging: oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 12-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Projectfdw
Recipes 

Rouse the yeast probably wasn't the ought phrase. Just wondering if it is sunk ( haven't checked) that it would nullify the effects of the cold crash and cloud the beer. I will leave as is.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
ludomonster
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

It's not a big deal.

Bottled: Old Freckled Men, Berlin Mart Cider, Creamer Ale II
English Mother****er, Do You Drink It Pale Ale
C4 Pale Ale (Centennial, Challenger, Cascade, Citra hopburst)

Gone: Honeybadger Wheat Ale, Bad Amba Jamma, Badder Amba Jamma, Slam Dunkelweizen, Creamer Ale I, Robust Porter

Quick Reply