Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Refrigerator to fermenter -- advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
j2brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Refrigerator to fermenter -- advice?

Hello, new brewer here, lots of great info on this site. However, I have not been able to find a nice summary on converting a refrigerator to a fermenter. If one exists, I apologize for the extraneous post-- could you point me to it? If not, here are some questions I have:

How big should the refrigerator be?
How many buckets/better bottles could I fit in various sizes?
Pros/Cons for side-by-side or top/bottom freezer?
Do I need to tear out any walls/shelves etc. in the fridge (modifications)?
How do I wire in the thermostat?
Are there any step-by-step instructions on the whole process?

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

the fridge can be a variety of sizes and the best way to determine how big you want to go is to make a paper cutout the size of the fermenter base and place it in various fridges you want to try. on the other hand, shelves can be built into the fridge to increase space. or the side by side can be modified to increase space. here is a good thread that will answer some of your questions:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/side...-build-105054/

i haven't seen a fridge with a top/bottom freezer cut out to make the entire space available, but i'm sure it could be done. you'll definitely have to do some modifications to the fridge if you want to maximize the space. take the door panel off, replace it, take all the shelves out, install wood shelves, etc...

also, typing 'refrigerator fermenter' or 'fermenting with fridge', etc. in the search will yield a bunch of posts pertaining to this topic.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 06-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

NORTHERN BREWER: Fermentation Temperature Control

Easiest thing to do is get a temperature controller: it has a temperature probe that you keep in the fridge, and then it turns the fridge on or off to regulate the temperature.

As for size, anything mid-sized or above works. I personally would just get a fridge that had a smaller freezer (or none at all)...but if you find a good deal on one particular type...snag it.
On the Bench: Racer 5 IPA

"One of the first things early caveman did, when he crawled out of the mudd, was to make beer. And cavemen everywhere are still making beer...and drinking beer." - Jean Sheperd

Quick Reply