Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Recommend a book for me

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
Sir-Hops-A-Lot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Recommend a book for me

I have Papazian's Joy of Homebrewing
I am looking for another source of information and recipes. I'm basically grounded in extract recipes because I've got young children. I could get more Papazian books. I am wondering if it is worth buying Palmer's Book. I am also wondering about books that have recipes. I am considering Clone Brews or Brewing Classic Styles by Zainasheff. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 02:23 AM   #2
menerdari
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 16

The first addition of palmers book if free online, some changes have been made in his revised editions but the basics are the same.
I have been reading "the everything homebrewing book" by Drew Beechum and have found it very informative. (this book includes 100 recipes)

Old 09-30-2012, 02:24 AM   #3
dkeller12
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

From what I have been told, John Palmers 'How to Brew' is a must have for any home brewer.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 60

How to Brew is an excellent book. If you are just looking for recipes, Brewing Classic Styles is a good reference, although I personally don't put a lot of stock in recipe books in general...I tend more towards the "theory" books and make my own recipes most of the time. Also, if you really want the nuts & bolts of the recipes in Brewing Classic Styles, you ought to listen to the old episodes of the Jamil Show on Brewing Network, where he basically goes over all of the classic style recipes and discusses them in greater detail than you really get in the book.

I wasn't aware Drew had a book out, too.

It is weird with both John Palmer and Drew Beechum being locals here, I run into them all the time at various beer-related events. John was judging sours with me at a competition last weekend, and I'm supposed to be pouring sodas with Drew at a beer fest tomorrow. Still have never met Charlie Papazian in person, though. I randomly run into Drew very regularly even though he lives way up in the Maltose Falcons' neck of the woods. I swear it's like he's stalking me sometimes.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 210

I highly recommend "Yeast" by Jamil Zainasheff and Chris White. I also enjoyed the recently released "IPA" by Mitch Steele. If you are interested in recipe creation "Designing Great Beers" By Ray Daniels is a good book with lots of info. If you are interested in a fun, informative and creative book then "Radical Brewing" by Randy Mosher is great also!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 09-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
jimbot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir-Hops-A-Lot View Post
I am considering Clone Brews or Brewing Classic Styles by Zainasheff. Any thoughts?
I think both of those are great choices if you are looking for more extract recipes. I'd lean towards Brewing Classic Styles, since I'm more interesting in brewing something to my taste, with my equipment, rather than trying to duplicate a commercial beer. So Zainasheff's book is a little meatier in my opinion to get you thinking about the recipes, unlike Clone Brews which is kinda just a cookbook.

--Jimbot

Old 09-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1193

Ive made many good beers from The Complete Hombrew Beer book(Recipe book). Although its extract mainly,I was doing all grain but just converted the extract to an all grain recipe. In fact I sent a beer into a competition with one of those recipes.
Also The Hombrewers Recipe Guide book,is pretty good.its got a good variety.It even has beer-food recipes.
Also the recipe forum here on HBT,has many extract recipes. Converting all grain recipes is almost as simple as multiplying the # of grain by .8125 for LME per pound or by .6875 for DME per pound. So dont be intimdated by a good allgrain recipe.
I have Palmers and Papazians books, they are both great resources.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
shoreman
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Get classic styles they are great base recipes

Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com

Old 09-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Another vote for Brewing Classic Styles. It has ~80 extract recipes, one for every style of beer.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:15 AM   #10
Sir-Hops-A-Lot
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I bought a copy of Brewing Classic Styles and I like what I see.
I have a question for anyone who has the book. When a hop addition is listed as 0 minutes, is that for dry hopping? I know how to dry hop but I've never seen hop additions listed as 0 mins before.
Another thing I wonder about is the boil size. They often list 7 gallons. Is this due to expectations that after loss with evaporations and the yeast cake, you'll end up with 5 gallons? They explained it at the start of the book but I wasn't clear afterwards.
thanks
SHAL

Quick Reply