Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Recipe suggestion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
RyanL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Recipe suggestion

Hi guys.

I'm heading out west to my old home brew store to pick up some supplies as part of a visit and was hoping to get some advice on recipes - specifically amounts.

I've tried 2 batches brewing previously from kits etc and both have turned out disasterously so I was hoping that some in-depth guidance may distinguish between the fault lying with me or perhaps dodgy equipment.

I'm hoping to brew a decent trappist style ale so wondered what kit to look for (bearing in mind im from the UK), what hops to use in what quantites and similarly which malt extracts to use in which quantities blah blah etc

I'm keen on cascade, fuggles and saaz as hops but dont know how well they'd contribute to the flavour of a trappist beer (i figure saaz is a safe bet)

I also figure a dark malt extract is going to give that rich dark look and taste of a nice strong trappist ale but againn, have no clue.

What type of recipes do you guys recommend for me?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I don't mean to be a downer, but if you've had two "disasters" why not brew something really simple and try to identify the issues you are having.

Go with an ESB or Pale Ale and use a clean fermenting, forgiving yeast.

If you post some of your problems, recipes, and procedures, the folks on this forum are more than happy to get to the bottom of your troubles and help you brew great beer.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
fire943
Recipes 

+1 on forgiving. Learn then go to the more complicated beers. This is speaking from experience.

On Deck: None
Primary: AHS Hefeweisen
Secondary: None
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein, Double J IPA

Quick Reply