Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Recipe searching?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
juggaleo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Recipe searching?

For all the people who don't formulate their own recipes yet, where is/was your favorite place to browse for them?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
caustin
Recipes 

The recipes section at the top is pretty awesome. Along with the BYO recipe list.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Only one of the largest vetted collections of recipe by some of the top brewers in the world, many of which have won awards and even been featured in books and magazines...

Kinda wonder why anyone would ever need to ask this question.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
aarong
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Nice

Fermenting: Tripel
Keg: empty
Bottle: empty
Vissani fermentor build

Old 01-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
juggaleo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default right..

I figured right where I already am would be a response. I have found lot's of great information here so no disrespect, but i'm finding it hard to navigate efficiently through recipes in the forum. I'm on my third brew tomorrow night and potentially switching to partial mash via deathbrewers method and can't decide what would work well with it.. would like to do a wit or something in the wheat categorie

Old 01-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
BrewMasta
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

BeerSmith.com is also a good source of recipes for both extract and FG brewers.

" life is like a case of beer, you must enjoy it every day"

- ToastedBlonde Ale in Bottles
- Zesty Pale Ale in primary #1
- Belma 60 IPA in primary #2
- Belgian Wheat IPA in primary #3
- White IPA on deck
- ESB on deck

* Member of the Maniacal Association of Shoreline Home-brewers, CT

Old 01-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 481 Posts
Likes Given: 154

I have also used Northern Brewer's website. I look at the kits of a style I would like to do, open the page that has the recipe and instructions. I then use Beersmith 2 to formulate my recipe substituting ingredients as needed or desired. I often look at similar recipes from several sources to make mine.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
juggaleo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I'm in the detroitish area too... do you go to wine barrel plus?

Old 01-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
juggaleo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the input.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

How much harder is it to "navigate" through recipes here, than some random recipe collection? Just go to the style you're interested in, and look through the recipes. Look at who the brewer is, if he's someone respected on here, read any comments and discussions in the threads, look at the ingredients to see if they sound good to you, and choose. The thing about the database, as opposed to the "recipe/ingredients" section of the forum is that it is pretty vetted. We make sure that ONLY beers that have actually been brewed stay in there, as opposed to "in progress."

The mods will move anything that is suspicious, or that we report to the other section. You can easily gauge the feedback on the recipes, by the discussions in the thread, as opposed to some of the other collections, which are JUST the recipes, with little if any comments, and no understanding/feedback on if the beer even turned out.

Many of us may have a ton of recipes in the recipe/ingredients section, but ONLY commit a handful of recipes to the database, only those that we'd stake our name and reputation on. That we can gaurentee are good recipes. The few that I've committed have usually been brewed 2-3 times before I put them in there, have been tasted by a lot of brewers and beer geeks, and may have even won awards.

And you can usually ask questions directly to us about the beers, which you can't always expect to happen on some less interactive site.

You don't get that sort of thing on mot recipe collection sites....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply