Recipe question Smoked Alaskan Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbriscoe

Reaction score
I have a recipe and custom kit to brew. The instructions say:
Heat 4.7qts water to 165F. Sttep crushed grains at 154F for 45 min. Rinse with 3.5 qts of water at 170F. Add dried malt extract and water to make 2.5 gal of wort. Boil 60 min...

I have brewed twice before, but never with these types of directions.

1. Why do I heat the water to 165, then steep at 154? I'm just supposed to cool the water off a bit?

2. Then what does "Rinse" mean? 3. Rinse what? 4. In what, from what, and into what? 5. Do I need multiple pots?

I can post the entire recipe in pdf format, but I cant figure out how to attach.

1. Adding the grains to the water will cool it down. I don't know what mount of steeping grains you have, but the recipe author expects that adding the grains will cool the water down from 165F to 154F.

2. Rinse the grains. Remove the grains and steady them in a large strainer or colander. I hope the steeping grains are in a steeping bag, as that will make your life much, much easier. If you have another pot, that's the best place to heat up the rinse water. You can rinse into the pot where you steeped the grains. Use some vessel or ladel to rinse, or you can carefully and slowly pour the hot water through the grains.

What you really have here is a partial mash kit, from the sound of it. The "rinse" is really a sparge. Of course, if you just have steeping grains, then you're treating them the same way as a partial mash.

TL

so I steep grains in pot 1 for 45 minutes, in about 1 gallon of water, then heat up a 2nd gallon of water in pot two, remove the grain sock from pot 1, and place in a sieve that I hold over pot one, and pour the hot water from pot 2 over the grain sock, thru the sieve, into pot one, so I end up with 2 gallons of hot brown water in the first put, then I'm done with the grains, grain sock, and the 2nd pot. Is that about it?

Sounds about right. BTW, when you're posting, click on the "Go Advanced" button and you can do attachments by clicking the little paper clip looking graphic:

Clip.jpg

I don't have this option. My profile says attachments aren't allowed for me. How can I get that changed?

Back