Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Recipe with no instructions
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
JDFlow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 435
Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Recipe with no instructions

I want to brew this recipe for my first batch but am a little unsure about the process as there are no instructions provided.

After reading a lot of material leading up to my big day here is what I immediately thought I should do: steep roasted barley, oats, and crystal and chocolate malts for around 40 minutes at 155-160 degrees. Remove specialty grains, bring to a boil and add extract. When boil is achieved add hops. Boil for 90 minutes. The only instruction in the recipe is to boil the hops for 90 minutes. Does my method sound about right? Also, I'm scaling this recipe down to 3 gallons from 5.5, how much yeast should I pitch? Is there a resource to find pitching volume?

6 lbs. - Pale Malt Extract
1 lb. - Flaked Oats
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)
1/2 lb. - Chocolate Malt
1/4 lb. - Roasted Barley
1.75 oz. East Kent Golding Hops

__________________

Last edited by JDFlow; 04-21-2012 at 01:27 AM.
JDFlow is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 01:43 AM   #2
Shaneoco1981
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Shaneoco1981's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rochester, MI
Posts: 575
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Your method sounds about right except for the hops. What kind of kit is it, and what style of beer is it? Secondly, why are you scaling it down? If the kit is made for 5.5 gallons, do 5.5 gallons.

__________________
Shaneoco1981 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 01:45 AM   #3
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Illinois, Lake County
Posts: 857
Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

This is a good pitching rate calculator: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

You have to know your OG and by cutting your volume down to 3 from 5.5, it will go up considerably from that intended by the recipe. There are some decent online calculators to calc your OG and IBU, but Beersmith is a nice tool to invest in.

__________________
Hex23 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 01:50 AM   #4
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Illinois, Lake County
Posts: 857
Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

Just a rough calculation (assuming LME) says your beer would be at least 1.072, with DME it's at least 1.090. Both are big beers. I would not recommend making your first batch be a beer that big. Making beers that big taste good takes practice and patience. If you need to make a 3 gallon brew due to space constraints, I'd recommend scaling your ingredients back.

__________________
Hex23 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 01:57 AM   #5
Draken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Matthews, NC
Posts: 415
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFlow
I want to brew this recipe for my first batch but am a little unsure about the process as there are no instructions provided.

After reading a lot of material leading up to my big day here is what I immediately thought I should do: steep roasted barley, oats, and crystal and chocolate malts for around 40 minutes at 155-160 degrees. Remove specialty grains, bring to a boil and add extract. When boil is achieved add hops. Boil for 90 minutes. The only instruction in the recipe is to boil the hops for 90 minutes. Does my method sound about right? Also, I'm scaling this recipe down to 3 gallons from 5.5, how much yeast should I pitch? Is there a resource to find pitching volume?

6 lbs. - Pale Malt Extract
1 lb. - Flaked Oats
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)
1/2 lb. - Chocolate Malt
1/4 lb. - Roasted Barley
1.75 oz. East Kent Golding Hops
A few things
1) Consider brewing 2.75gallon batch. You can just cut everything in half that way.
2) remove the pan from the heat to add the extract and make sure it's completely mixed in before you put the heat back to it or you risk scorching it.
3) Consider adding about half the extract to the pot with 15 min left in the boil. Adding it all at the start will result in a darker beer.
4) I think you will be ok just pitching a single pack of yeast. I brew exclusively 2.5 batches and have never had reason to pitch more than that.
__________________
Draken is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 01:59 AM   #6
mr_bell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 394
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

In response to your pitching volume question, www.mrmalty.com

What kind of yeast were you going to use? I'm guessing this is an oatmeal stout? I set it up in beersmith and if definitely falls into the low end of the style guidelines for oatmeal stout--see below--though I increased the extract to get into the low end for the style. Also not sure what the appropriate yeast to use, just plugged in Wyeast British Ale. 5.5 gallon batch

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.87 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 26.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 75.68 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 10.81 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 2.70 %
1.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 30.0 IBU
1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) Yeast-Ale

__________________
mr_bell is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 02:03 AM   #7
JDFlow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 435
Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneoco1981 View Post
Your method sounds about right except for the hops. What kind of kit is it, and what style of beer is it? Secondly, why are you scaling it down? If the kit is made for 5.5 gallons, do 5.5 gallons.
It's not a kit, it's an oatmeal stout recipe I found online. I'm scaling it down because I'm in an apartment with a cheap stove that won't boil the 6+ gallons I'd need to make most recipes. What sounds wrong with the hops?
__________________
JDFlow is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 02:05 AM   #8
JDFlow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 435
Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex23 View Post
This is a good pitching rate calculator: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

You have to know your OG and by cutting your volume down to 3 from 5.5, it will go up considerably from that intended by the recipe. There are some decent online calculators to calc your OG and IBU, but Beersmith is a nice tool to invest in.
Thanks
__________________
JDFlow is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 02:06 AM   #9
JDFlow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 435
Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bell View Post
In response to your pitching volume question, www.mrmalty.com

What kind of yeast were you going to use? I'm guessing this is an oatmeal stout? I set it up in beersmith and if definitely falls into the low end of the style guidelines for oatmeal stout--see below--though I increased the extract to get into the low end for the style. Also not sure what the appropriate yeast to use, just plugged in Wyeast British Ale. 5.5 gallon batch

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.87 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 26.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 75.68 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 10.81 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 2.70 %
1.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 30.0 IBU
1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) Yeast-Ale

Awesome, thanks. The recipe calls for white labs irish ale yeast WLP004. I also plan on running all this by the good folks at my LHBS to get their input as they seem pretty well versed.
__________________

Last edited by JDFlow; 04-21-2012 at 02:15 AM.
JDFlow is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 02:25 AM   #10
Shaneoco1981
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Shaneoco1981's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rochester, MI
Posts: 575
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFlow View Post
It's not a kit, it's an oatmeal stout recipe I found online. I'm scaling it down because I'm in an apartment with a cheap stove that won't boil the 6+ gallons I'd need to make most recipes. What sounds wrong with the hops?
There are no aromatic or flavor hops. Just bittering hops. And I understand you have boiling constrictions, but why not do a partial boil. Boil as much as you can and then when you have cooled it down, fill it with sanitary water to your 5.5 gallon mark. That is what almost all brewers do to start. Just keep in mind that you have to stir THE HELL out of it to get a some what accurate gravity reading. So when you are done, and have filled it up and then your gravity reading comes in low, the reason is because the water and wort haven't fully mixed yet. Yeast, however, do a very good job of mixing it up so no need to worry.
__________________
Shaneoco1981 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you follow the AHBS recipe instructions for lagering? rockout Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 05-27-2010 09:24 PM
Please help fast reading recipe instructions CaptZav Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 03-07-2010 02:11 AM
Help me figure out this Brewmaster's Select recipe/instructions apologeticus Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 12-02-2009 01:23 PM
Second guessing my Recipe Kit instructions AbbeyDubbel Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 01-21-2009 08:59 PM
Step by step grain recipe instructions? IwanaBrich Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 01-03-2009 01:59 PM