The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Recipe Kit Recomendations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
alexavery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Recipe Kit Recomendations

I'm getting ready to brew my second beer. I'm looking for an extract kit with specialty grains.

My first batch was a Nut Brown. I want something a little lighter as we head into Summer. I was thinking about the Liberty Cream Ale from Midwest, but I'm worried it will just taste like Old Miluakee or something. Any thoughts?

I don't love heavily hopped beers. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a little too hoppy for me.

Any thoughts on what might be a good kit for me? (ideally from Midwest or Northern since I live in the Midwest)

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Midwest is for sure a good place to get beer kits... They offer tons of different kits there. The Cream Ale is exceptionally good and their Lawnmower de Saison is also very good. Can't vouch for any other kits from them yet, but if the others are as high quality as those, you should be good with anything. The Cream Ale and Saison that I brewed are perfect summer beers. May also want to try their Wit kit.

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 03-30-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Midwest's Hank's (?) Hefe is really good

Old 03-30-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexavery View Post
I'm getting ready to brew my second beer. I'm looking for an extract kit with specialty grains.

My first batch was a Nut Brown. I want something a little lighter as we head into Summer. I was thinking about the Liberty Cream Ale from Midwest, but I'm worried it will just taste like Old Miluakee or something. Any thoughts?

I don't love heavily hopped beers. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a little too hoppy for me.

Any thoughts on what might be a good kit for me? (ideally from Midwest or Northern since I live in the Midwest)
I only order kits if I can see the full recipe before I buy to decide if I like it or not; I don't like the idea of plonking down money and not knowing what I'm going to make until it shows up (and then needing to place a second order for more stuff if I want to tweak it instead of combining that with the first).

Northern Brewer definitely puts their recipes on the site so you can look at them. Midwest puts the grain bill in the description but I haven't been able to find the hops (I could be blind). That's still better than a lot of other places, but I wouldn't feel comfortable ordering a kit for my own use without knowing the full recipe.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I'm a fan of Brewers Best. They have steeping grains, un-hopped extract, hops and yeast. I do like to replace the yeast though.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My first brew is the red ale from here: True Brew Beer Kits

Quite a good kit, though follow the instructions found here rather than the ones in kit. I bought mine at my LHBS. We shall see how it tastes

Old 03-31-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

I tasted a Kolsch again yesterday, from New Holland and loved it. A lighter style with a bit of hops (but not much). A hefe is a good choice, as is the Cream Ale, Wit, Saison, etc. Check the description of each and just pick one. The Wit and Saison are Belgian styles and use a special yeast, and stuff like coriander and orange peel.

I like Norther Brewers site for listing the ingredients. I've used them for recipe base before.

FYI - Some lighter styles may not need specialty grains.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
Greyhound
Blackjack Brewing Co.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexavery View Post
I was thinking about the Liberty Cream Ale from Midwest, but I'm worried it will just taste like Old Miluakee or something. Any thoughts?
Midwest's Liberty Cream Ale is a good choice. I've only brewed three batches so far, so I don't have a whole lot of experience, but the Liberty Cream Ale is my favorite so far. It will NOT taste like Old Milwaukee. The cascade hops add a nice grapefruity flavor - perfect for the warmer weather.

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

"It is what it is." -Erich Fried

Old 03-31-2009, 04:19 PM   #9
alexavery
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks - I'm thinking I'll give the Liberty Cream Ale a try.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
tavern
Recipes 

Try this Imperial Salvic Ale

It's a triple IPA that uses honey and a ton of hops. I'm actually brewing it right now in my secondary.

Quick Reply