Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Recipe help, before I brew a potential disaster

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
Quyzi
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Recipe help, before I brew a potential disaster

Hey dudes,

Figured that it was about time to start working on figuring out how to make my own recipes. Thought I would start with a rye IPA since they're delicious. Been reading up on grains and hops and I think I have a rudimentary idea of what needs to go in and when.. Not sure though. Playing around with BeerSmith, and some hops that I've used in the past, I came up with this. It's for a 5.5 gallon batch.

Code:
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
8.0 oz                Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)                     Adjunct       1        2.5 %         
11 lbs                Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         2        55.0 %        
7 lbs                 Rye Malt (4.7 SRM)                       Grain         3        35.0 %        
1 lbs                 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)    Grain         4        5.0 %         
8.0 oz                Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)             Grain         5        2.5 %         
2.00 oz               Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           6        67.9 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min         Hop           7        26.1 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop           8        6.8 IBUs      
1.00 oz               Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min             Hop           9        1.9 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast         10       -
TL;DR start here :P

There are a few things I'm wondering about. I know rye can be a pain with mash tuns, do I have enough rice hulls? or too much, even... I've seen some other recipes using rye in different amounts, anything from 5% of the bill to 75%. I want a rye flavor but not too overwhelming. Do you think I've used too much or too little of it in this recipe? Finally, I liked the flavor I got from the galaxy ipa I brewed so long ago, so I've used it here as the primary (only) hop. Not sure about aroma though. Is 1oz of saaz that late in the boil enough to get a nice aroma?

This is the first time I've seriously tried to come up with a good recipe for a brew. I've played with this software a number of times, but mostly playing around. Thank you guys for everything.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 01:53 AM   #2
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 18

That's a lot of rye, I'd scale it back to about 20%. I'd also ditch the saaz. What og!are you shooting for? That's a lot of grain for 5 gal.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:05 AM   #3
Quyzi

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmartin000 View Post
That's a lot of rye, I'd scale it back to about 20%. I'd also ditch the saaz. What og!are you shooting for? That's a lot of grain for 5 gal.
I probably shouldn't go by the beersmith style guide when making recipes. I thought that seemed a lot of rye. Not shooting for any og in particular, just a tasty end result.

Why 20% and why ditch the saaz?

Old 02-21-2013, 02:10 AM   #4
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Advice above is good although I like to go as high as 30% for Rye. Also curious as to what your goals are for this beer? Alcohol and IBUs?

I think Galaxy would be good for a hoppy rye ale but I wouldn't waste them by putting them in before the 20 minute mark. Just my opinion but I love them as a fifteen minute addition and a dryhop.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 02-21-2013, 02:18 AM   #5
mojo_wire
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Agree the saaz is out of place. 1 oz for 5 min isn't going to do enough to be noticed in either flavor or aroma. This is going to be a big, powerful beer from the malt beer alone, adding the saaz will be little more than tossing in a splash of Pilsner Urquell.

Looks like a ton of grain and high aa hops so I assume this is a IIPA. Too much rye will add a (someone else can probably describe this better or more accurately) heavy, woody bitterness. I would cut it in half.

This recipe might benefit from some dry hopping since there is so much bittering from the Galaxy. It's going to be strong and full bodied so some hoppy aroma would probably be nice.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:22 AM   #6
DonMagee
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't know if this will help.

I've not brewed a rye beer beyond a extract kit I did as my second beer, but from some quick google searches it seems most SN Ruthless Rye clone recipes are in the 10-15% rye area. I'd assume that anything under 20% would give a good rye flavor. After that you are going to really bring the rye out.

The saaz is a mild earthy hop typically reserved for german style beers and galaxy is a citrus/fruit hop. With the heavy focus your beer has on galaxy and it's , I'm not sure the saaz would add anything to the brew. The citrus just might drown it out. But there is nothing wrong with giving that a try.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:27 AM   #7
Quyzi

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew View Post
Advice above is good although I like to go as high as 30% for Rye. Also curious as to what your goals are for this beer? Alcohol and IBUs?

I think Galaxy would be good for a hoppy rye ale but I wouldn't waste them by putting them in before the 20 minute mark. Just my opinion but I love them as a fifteen minute addition and a dryhop.
My goals are a tasty rye ipa. I brewed a brewers best australian ipa kit last year and it was delicious. It used galaxy hops throughout. I'm not aiming to replicate it, but I liked the citrusy flavor of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo_wire View Post
Agree the saaz is out of place. 1 oz for 5 min isn't going to do enough to be noticed in either flavor or aroma. This is going to be a big, powerful beer from the malt beer alone, adding the saaz will be little more than tossing in a splash of Pilsner Urquell.

Looks like a ton of grain and high aa hops so I assume this is a IIPA. Too much rye will add a (someone else can probably describe this better or more accurately) heavy, woody bitterness. I would cut it in half.

This recipe might benefit from some dry hopping since there is so much bittering from the Galaxy. It's going to be strong and full bodied so some hoppy aroma would probably be nice.
So the Saaz are out of place. I'll take those out of the recipe. Seems like its way too much rye as well. I'll cut that in half. Assuming I don't cut the hop schedule down, what hop would make a good addition for dry hopping?

Old 02-21-2013, 02:29 AM   #8
DonMagee
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You could dry hop with galaxy, or any other citrusy hop like centennial, cascade, citra, amarillo, etc

Old 02-21-2013, 03:35 AM   #9
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I'd dry hop with galaxy and centennial or just galaxy straight up. I only mentioned not wasting the galaxy before 20 minutes left in the boil because they are hard to get. In fact I don't know of anywhere that actually has any right now so that is something you should look into before proceeding. I tried making my house Galaxy Pale Ale recipe the other month and couldn't acquire galaxy so I tried stella which is another Australian variety but I don't think they're as good.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 02-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
Quyzi

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew View Post
I'd dry hop with galaxy and centennial or just galaxy straight up. I only mentioned not wasting the galaxy before 20 minutes left in the boil because they are hard to get. In fact I don't know of anywhere that actually has any right now so that is something you should look into before proceeding. I tried making my house Galaxy Pale Ale recipe the other month and couldn't acquire galaxy so I tried stella which is another Australian variety but I don't think they're as good.
Hmm, that's a good point. That kit was "limited edition". Perhaps I need to rethink the hops entirely.

So if I cut the recipe down to this, considering I'm going to rethink the choice of hops, does this look like it would produce a good brew? I'm thinking simcoe or magnum hops, based on what I'm reading about them.

Code:
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
8.0 oz                Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)                     Adjunct       1        2.5 %         
11 lbs                Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         2        55.0 %        
3 lbs                 Rye Malt (4.7 SRM)                       Grain         3        35.0 %        
1 lbs                 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)    Grain         4        5.0 %         
8.0 oz                Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)             Grain         5        2.5 %         
1.0 pkg               California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast         10       -

Quick Reply