Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Recipe help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Gaviao
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Recipe help

Okay so I've been looking through the recipes on this site and on brewtoad.com, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for...

cue U2

Anyway....

I'm looking for a 2 gallon extract Blue Moon clone recipe. I would also be happy with one for Bells Oberon, again 2 gallon extract.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
Bramstoker17
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Is it the scale of the recipe or the ingredients you haven't been satisfied with? You won't find too many recipes for 2 gallons online, but if you find a recipe you like that's for 5, scaling it down shouldn't be too hard.

My recipes at Brewtoad:
http://brewtoad.com/users/28920/recipes
My brew blog for my homebrewery, White Pointer Brewery:
http://whitepointerbrewery.wordpress.com/

Old 05-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
Gaviao
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramstoker17 View Post
Is it the scale of the recipe or the ingredients you haven't been satisfied with? You won't find too many recipes for 2 gallons online, but if you find a recipe you like that's for 5, scaling it down shouldn't be too hard.
Got it, that does help. Are there any tricks to scaling down a recipe? Or is it just as I would imagine - let's say a 5 gallon batch recipe calls for 1 oz of hops so for the 2 gallon batch I would only use like .40 oz.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
Heavywalker
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 8

if you are given a 5 gallon batch divide the amount (weight) of ingredients by 5 and then multiply by 2 for everything from grains to extract to hops, recipes are scalable up or down in finished volume.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:15 AM   #5
woozy
Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaviao View Post
Got it, that does help. Are there any tricks to scaling down a recipe? Or is it just as I would imagine - let's say a 5 gallon batch recipe calls for 1 oz of hops so for the 2 gallon batch I would only use like .40 oz.

It's absolutely perfect linear scale. I brew 2 gallon batches and I've never in my entire life seen a 2 gallon recipe for *anything*. I've scaled *every* time.

Tips: If your scale is digital and you can use metric to measure .4 oz of hops in grams. Grams is more accurate. If recipes give AA% use that to measure the bittering hops. If your recipe *doesn't* your hops are just an estimate anyway as each batch has a different AA percentage anyway. Err, upward on yeast. Accuracy for extract and/or grain and/or water (i.e. anything *but* hops and yeast) is not very important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavywalker View Post
if you are given a 5 gallon batch divide the amount (weight) of ingredients by 5 and then multiply by 2 for everything from grains to extract to hops, recipes are scalable up or down in finished volume.
... or multiply by 4 and divide by 10. Or divide in half and add 1/4. Or convert from oz to tenths of lbs and divide in half. Or ...

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

Quick Reply