Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Recipe Formulation & Ingredients Descriptions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2011, 05:26 PM   #51
sirhc1210
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default AG to Partial Mash Conversion and Batch Size Conversions?

Hey, very informative post... I'll def have to check back once I start making my own recipes. But since I’m pretty new to brewing (only done a Dry Malt Extract Kit and a Liquid Malt Extract Kit) I'm going to stick with other peoples recipes until I get my own hold on things After reading the post on partial mashes I've decided I want to give that a try.

I had a few questions though:

Most recipes I've seen are for All Grain. Is there any easy way to convert the AG to a partial mash recipe? Should I simply take half of the grains and throw in 3-4lbs of Dry or Liquid Malt Extract? Keep the same amt of hops etc? Or is there a more complex calculation that I'd need to do depending on which grains were used?

Also, some recipes are for 10 gallon batches. I'm only making 5 gallon batches. Can I simply half everything (including grains, hops, water etc)?

Specifically I was looking at Crabree's Wee Heavy Scotch Ale

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #52
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhc1210 View Post
Most recipes I've seen are for All Grain. Is there any easy way to convert the AG to a partial mash recipe? Should I simply take half of the grains and throw in 3-4lbs of Dry or Liquid Malt Extract? Keep the same amt of hops etc? Or is there a more complex calculation that I'd need to do depending on which grains were used?
The good beer software out there will do the conversion for you.

The way I do it is I try to figure out the brewer's efficiency (it's helpful if they list it; if not then I use 70%), and then multiply the pounds of grain by that number. The recipe you listed is already extract, so I'll just make up a quick recipe.

5 lb 2-row
1 lb wheat
0.5 lb Crystal 20L
0.5 lb Cara-munich

If you saw this recipe, you could multiply 5 lbs. by .7 (which is 70%) to get 3.5 lbs of 2-row extract (or just light DME). You would get 0.7 lbs of wheat extract - but remember, most wheat extract is some proportion barley. If the wheat extract is 50/50, then you'd add 1.4 lbs of that and take away .7 lbs of the light DME.

Then, I look at the specialty grains - the stuff that isn't basically 2-row, pilsner or wheat. Essentially, if you can't find an extract called that thing, then it's a specialty grain. You should partial mash those to get closer to the real beer, but if you don't do partial mashes, well... you won't get very close to the recipe.

The crystal and the cara don't have malt extracts named for them, so those are your partial mash grains. I feel that it's helpful to add in about a pound of 2-row to make sure the mash has plenty of enzymes and extra flavor, so the converted recipe, as *I* would make it, is as follows:

2.1 lbs light DME
1.4 lbs wheat DME (50/50)
1 lb 2-row
0.5 lb Crystal 20L
0.5 lb Cara-munich

You would mash 2 lbs. of grains, then add the extract in towards the end of the boil.

That's just how I would do it; others would disagree.

Quote:
Also, some recipes are for 10 gallon batches. I'm only making 5 gallon batches. Can I simply half everything (including grains, hops, water etc)?
Within reason, yes. It won't be exactly exactly the same, but it will be close enough to not make a difference.

EDIT: bad specialty grain examples... neither of those need a mash, they can be steeped only. Still, I would tend to use an extra pound of 2-row, just to make the beer a little better, IMO. Also, if you substitute 2-row grain back in for extract, remember 1 lb of grain only replaces 0.7 lb of extract.

Last edited by Justibone; 04-15-2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Mash comment
JMacc Likes This 
Old 04-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #53
sirhc1210
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the help Justibone! I'm hoping to get a new stock pot next month so I can start a partial mash. =) I can't wait!

Old 06-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #54
Medevac_Chief
Recipes 

Thanks so much!!!! Im just getting started myself, after not taking advantage of my wife working in a micro-brewery and all the homebrew clubs of the Jacksonville FL area, and have been doing some research and havent come accross anything this helpful.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:32 AM   #55
broth223
Recipes 

Well I'm trying to get together a Black IPA here is my ingredient list

4 Gallon batch

Malts

American Crystal Dark (77L) 3lbs
Amber Malt 3lbs
Chocolate Malt 3lbs
American two row 3lbs
American Crystal 3lbs

Hops

60 Min Chinook 1oz
60 Min Yakima Gold 1oz
30 Min Cascade .5 oz
30 Min Centenial .5 oz
15 Min Citra .5 oz
Dry Hop in secondary with an oz of chinook

Yeast
either England Dry Ale Yeast or California yeast.

Current calculations estimate 7.7ABV 95.2 IBU 63 SRM but a final gravity of 1.029

I'm concerned that my final gravity may be too high.

I'm concerned that my final gravity may be too high I also plan to prime with Dextrose during primary as well as adding some during bottling is that a good idea as well?

Old 11-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #56
Justibone
Recipes 

I agree that your initial gravity is too high.

I think your chocolate malt is too much. Less is better with chocolate.

I think you have too much crystal.

Start your recipe with the following:

4 gallons * (4 lb grain/.70 efficiency) ~ 5.72 lbs. grain for about 5% ABV.

Do 5 lbs of 2-row.
Do 1 lb of Crystal 60 or darker
Do 6 oz. of chocolate

Or so.

Next, your hops...

You don't need 2 different kinds of bittering hops. Just use the smallest amount of the highest alpha acid percentage (AA%) hops you can use to get your IBUs where you want. I like the cascade/centennial/citra combination, though... that could be good so long as you can get all three types. (My LHBS has a hard time getting citra.) Amarillo and Sorachi Ace are also in the same family and could be good, especially with that sweetness from the crystal.

I've never brewed the black IPA style, but those are just my suggestions.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #57
Justibone
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
I also plan to prime with Dextrose during primary as well as adding some during bottling is that a good idea as well?
Dextrose in primary will dry the beer out - that can be good in an IPA, but it should be included in your fermentables list because it will add to the alcohol.

Dextrose is good for bottling, yes.
Cuinrearview's Gumballhead-Inspired WPA
Pelikan's John's Red English Barleywine

Old 11-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #58
Garner54
Recipes 

So i brewed a (shiner Bock) clone and i kept it at room temp. and im almost certain its going to turn into a ale. The reason for brewing at that temp was my wine fridge went out. What do you think, maybe i should leave it in the secoundary longer.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #59
Justibone
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garner54 View Post
So i brewed a (shiner Bock) clone and i kept it at room temp. and im almost certain its going to turn into a ale. The reason for brewing at that temp was my wine fridge went out. What do you think, maybe i should leave it in the secoundary longer.
If you used a lager yeast but at ale temperatures, I am unsure what your result will be.

I would leave it in the secondary longer, but who knows? When things go off course like that, you just have to roll with the punches.
Cuinrearview's Gumballhead-Inspired WPA
Pelikan's John's Red English Barleywine

Old 12-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #60
PCharles
Recipes 

Default Understanding Malts

Greetings friends,

I'm new to brewing so please excuse my lack of beer making knowledge. I was must reviewing a Malts Chart.
Malts Chart - Home Brewing Wiki

I have a few questions.

• There are two columns under potential yield. The left of the two is specific gravity and the right one is percent. If I'm not mistaking, the percent, such as 75%, relates to the expected sugar extraction from the grain. I am more in doubt about the specific gravity. If the Colum says 1.035, does this mean that that would be the achieved SG after extraction? As a wine maker, I'd look at 1.035 as a rather low SG to ferment with.
  • My second question deals with the SRM Column. On the cart, the SRM Colum is colored from yellow to brown. I figure that gives the user an idea of the beer color. However, I don't know what the numbers mean. So, what is SRM, and what do the numbers in the SRM column mean?
  • My last question deals with the term Mash. Some malts require the Mash process when others do not? I would have thought all grains would have to be processed in a Mash Tun. Is the mash process adding hot water for about 60 minutes? I may be getting the terms Mash and Sparge mixed up. Thanks for some clarification.

Thanks for help with this basic information.

Quick Reply