Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Recipe Critique Please - Black IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #31
cwheel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Best part about dry hopping is you can decide if you need it at the end of fermentation

I would guess that based on your higher OG, and the fact that you have a bunch of Nugget at 90 minutes, the bitterness and higher alcohol might benefit from a little dry hopping?

Citra / Cascade IPA Test Batch #1
PLANNED
Imperial Red Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #32
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwheel View Post
Best part about dry hopping is you can decide if you need it at the end of fermentation

I would guess that based on your higher OG, and the fact that you have a bunch of Nugget at 90 minutes, the bitterness and higher alcohol might benefit from a little dry hopping?
Yes I will definitely be dry hopping, I love the fresh hop aroma it provides in an IPA or Pale Ale.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 12-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #33
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

UPDATE:

One of the best beers I've ever made! I'm surprised by how much chocolate porter taste I get up front but then it hits you with big IPA flavor at the finish. If I close my eyes and drink this it tastes much less like a porter. Amazing what your mind does to you when you expect something to taste different than it does!

This finished at 8.0% ABV. Going to be a hit at the Christmas festivities.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Quick Reply