Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Recipe Critique Please - Black IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Jayhem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 262 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

Default Recipe Critique Please - Black IPA

First attempt at a black IPA (essentially this is a Cascadian Dark Ale). I make a pretty good Columbus/Cascade American IPA so I wanted to expand on that. Would like an IPA that has some malt depth behind the hops with black color being very unique for an IPA.

Please comment/suggest. These are the only 2 "C-hops" I also have right now.

UPDATED RECIPE:

5.5 Gal batch (All Grain)

11.5 lb 2-Row Pale (81%)
1 lb Munich
1 lb C-80
10 oz debittered black malt (Carafa III)
2 oz Chocolate malt

Mash for 60 min @ 150-152F

Bittering addition at 80 min and then Hop bursting with Columbus and Cascade for last 25 minutes of boil to get 86 IBU's with an 80 minute boil. Dry hopping with 2oz Cascades for 10 days.

BU:GU ratio is 1.3

Nottingham Ale yeast from 2L starter

OG: 1.068
FG: 1.017
6.8% ABV
IBU: 86
Color 32 SRM

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
pwndabear
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 62

i personally would lose the sugar but thats just me. if youre looking for higher grav, go for it!

*edit*
im also a fan on throwing in lots of hops at the end of a boil to give an awesome nose to an IPA.

So you want to be a leader? You want to change the game?
Turn your back on money, walk away from fame.
You want to be a missionary? Got that missionary zeal?
Let a stranger change your life, how's that make you feel?
You want to be a writer but don’t know how or when?
Find a quiet place use a humble pen.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwndabear View Post
i personally would lose the sugar but thats just me. if youre looking for higher grav, go for it!

*edit*
im also a fan on throwing in lots of hops at the end of a boil to give an awesome nose to an IPA.

Thanks.

I was hesitant on the sugar but was worried all the specialty grains would make this too malty and wanted to dry it out just a little. I guess I could loose the sugar and just mash at like 150F instead?

I am using one bittering hop addition @ 80 min and then hop bursting the rest every 5 minutes from 25 down to flame out. I'm also dry hopping with 2oz of Cascades for 7 days in secondary.

Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 10-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
Thanks.

I was hesitant on the sugar but was worried all the specialty grains would make this too malty and wanted to dry it out just a little. I guess I could lose the sugar and just mash at like 150F instead?
Yes.

I would also lose the Roast Barley and just use 1/2lb of Carafa III. Too much roast/burnt and it will be an American Stout, not a CDA.
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider
Jayhem Likes This 
Old 10-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Seems like a good bit of roasted barley. Think AmandaK has the right idea.

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 10-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Jayhem
Recipes 

I don't have Carafa and my LHBS is 45 minutes away. What if I just lose the Roast Barley and up the debittered black malt to keep it over 32 SRM? My understanding is that debittered black malt adds color without much burnt/roasted flavors?

Old 10-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Lose the Roasted Barley. the idea is to have black color but little roast character. Hence the reason Carafa III (debittered black is Carafa) is used.

also - take a look at my black ipa recipe for comparison (its a double ipa so compare accordingly).

cheers

Tap 2:. Heavenly Scourge Black IIPA
Primary:. Sycamore Porter, Scottish Ale
Jayhem Likes This 
Old 10-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrman View Post
Lose the Roasted Barley. the idea is to have black color but little roast character. Hence the reason Carafa III (debittered black is Carafa) is used.

also - take a look at my black ipa recipe for comparison (its a double ipa so compare accordingly).

cheers
Thanks. So my "Debittered black malt" is essentially Carafa? What if I up it to 8oz of debittered, 4 oz of chocolate and 1 lb of C-80? still too roasty in 5.5 gal?

Also I see that you are adding the Carafa in the last 10 minutes of the mash... is this in attempt to add the color while minimizing roasty/burnt flavors?

Old 10-31-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 28

yes - Carafa is just the name given to debittered black by Weyerman malsters.

the Carafa I, II, III monikers indicate the level of SRM it will impart to the beer.

The Crystal 80L will impart some "raisiny" flavors. If you want more of a caramel flavor, use Crystal 60L. Crystal is not just used to impart color, but flavor profile as well. Perhaps you know this, so forgive me if that's the case.

Just depends on what you want in the finished product, but think what you have listed would make a fine black ipa. Give it a try and see!

the final 10 min addition of the CarafaIII is to reduce roast flavor, but many people have made my recipe with the black malt in there for the entire mash and they thought it was fine. In fact, my latest batch of this which is dryhopping now had the black malt in there for the entire 60 mins. So I'll get to see the difference soon enough.

Tap 2:. Heavenly Scourge Black IIPA
Primary:. Sycamore Porter, Scottish Ale

Old 10-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrman View Post
yes - Carafa is just the name given to debittered black by Weyerman malsters.

the Carafa I, II, III monikers indicate the level of SRM it will impart to the beer.

The Crystal 80L will impart some "raisiny" flavors. If you want more of a caramel flavor, use Crystal 60L. Crystal is not just used to impart color, but flavor profile as well. Perhaps you know this, so forgive me if that's the case.

Just depends on what you want in the finished product, but think what you have listed would make a fine black ipa. Give it a try and see!

the final 10 min addition of the CarafaIII is to reduce roast flavor, but many people have made my recipe with the black malt in there for the entire mash and they thought it was fine. In fact, my latest batch of this which is dryhopping now had the black malt in there for the entire 60 mins. So I'll get to see the difference soon enough.
Thanks.

The debittered black malt I'm using is 550 SRM.

I knew that C-80 has a deeper flavor profile than C-60 but never tried C-80. I always use C-60 in my Pale Ales and IPA's.

One final question: I see a lot of recipes for Cascadian Dark Ale with BU:GU ratios of around 1.5. I'm at 1.26 with my recipe right now. Do I need more IBU's to balance the extra malts?

Quick Reply