Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Recarbing store-bought beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
HibsMax
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Recarbing store-bought beer

I'm not sure if this should be in the dumbass section but I had an idea the other day. I think I am going to try it anyway but I want to see if anyone else has ever tried it. I'm not looking for validation or assurance that I'm not being a dumbass, I'm just curious, and hopefully the reason will become somewhat apparent.

I love HEAT!! And I like lagers that come with heat. I've only had one so far and that was years ago - Cave Creek Chili Beer. I want to try making my own but I don't want to go through the significant lagering process only to find out that I've ruined it with too much / little heat.

So I had an idea, albeit probably a bad one.

I'm thinking about buying a 12-pack of Bud and pouring 10 of them into a 1 gallon jug / carboy. I'll put an airlock on it to let the excess CO2 escape (not sure if that is necessary). Then I will add some peppers to the carboy. The exact type and number are not known yet but I will most likely err on the side of dumbass and go with scotch bonnet. Then leave that for about a week. Then reprime and bottle.

Has anyone ever done anything like that before? My goal is to determine how much pepper I might need, and also dabble with pepper varieties. I would rather spend a few bucks on a 12-pack of Bud, and ruin that, than spend several weeks brewing a lager only to screw it up.

Any advice other than DON'T DO IT? Would I need to pitch more yeast or will there still be enough in the beer to carbonate when primed and bottled again?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Obligatory anti-BMC comment:

"How will you know if you DID ruin that 12 pack of Bud?"

Wakka wakka wakka...

Seriously, though, it's an interesting idea. I'm not sure that it will turn out, but you're not risking much in the attempt.

There will be zero yeast in that Bud - it is pastuerized and filtered to kill and remove the yeast, giving clear beer.

When you bottle, you'll need to add a little yeast, plus priming sugar, else you'll never get carbonation back. Maybe a clean yeast like 05?

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale
criticalbrewpath Likes This 
Old 04-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
PistolsAtDawn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Well, I for one would like to know how this turns out if you try it.

And now for the obligatory suggestion: Have you thought about just adding a measured amount of some sort of chili extract to each bottle before you consume it? Seems to me that would accomplish the same goal with far less effort.

Edit: Ha ha, got snipered by homebrewdad's "obligatory."

Old 04-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
porterpounder
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sanitized soda bottle and a Carbonator cap. Of course this requires a CO2 tank of some sort to force the carbonation. Set reg at 15 and place in a cold fridge and whalah!

Also a great way to test flavoring in beer with hot pepper is to chop some up real fine like and drop the whole mass into a jar of vodka or other neutral spirit. Let it sit for a week. Instant hot pepper extract. Grab a small syrnige or dropper at the local drug store and just measure drops of the tincture into a measured amount of beer (like a shot glass or something) and when you hit your heat, scale up to a full batch. This is a common testing/flavoring method for that kind of experimentation.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
HibsMax
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I like the ideas.........but I'll be damned if curiosity hasn't got me wondering about my original idea.....so I'm going to try it and report back my results.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Do post back - I'd be interested to see how this turns out.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 04-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd think you risk oxydation here, but that gets back to HBD's first question wakka wakka...

besides a bit of yeast, I'd do a bit of sugar for priming

Old 04-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
Ramitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 158

I wouls strongly consider somthing with a bit more body and flavor for a chili beer, maybe Sam Adams at least.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #9
HibsMax
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramitt View Post
I wouls strongly consider somthing with a bit more body and flavor for a chili beer, maybe Sam Adams at least.
I hear ya and agree but for this I want to use something lighter. I had a Rogue something or other a few days ago (Chipotle Ale I think it was) and was disappointed in the heat. Some people look for the heat to take a back seat but, for this, I want it front and center - while still being drinkable (for me).

Old 04-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
Genjin
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACbrewer
I'd think you risk oxydation here, but that gets back to HBD's first question wakka wakka...

besides a bit of yeast, I'd do a bit of sugar for priming
Maybe you could add just a bit of boiled wort with the bud and throw it in a fermenter with some yeast. That way the yeasties could remove the oxygen. Then add the chilies after a week or so. Bottle like normal work some priming sugar.

Quick Reply