Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Recapping Over Carbed Bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
mkyl428
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default Recapping Over Carbed Bottles

I have an American Brown Ale I have entered in a competition in a couple weeks but it is over carbed. They don't immediately gush but if you leave it in the bottle after you open it for about 30 seconds it will foam out. It also produces a monster head if you pour it straight into a glass. It has been in the bottle for three weeks so it is fully carbed.

So I was wondering about uncapping and immediately recapping. Would this work to lower the carbonation without giving me flat beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
KeninMN
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 47

With the beer at room temperature, gently pry up on (but don't remove) the cap until CO2 starts to hiss out of the bottle. Once all of the excess CO2 escapes let off on the cap. It should seal back up. If not (or if you're not sure) you can clamp down on it with your bottle capper. Then refrigerate until cold and test to make sure the carbonation level is where you want it. It may take a few times to dial it in to where you want it.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1683 Times on 1194 Posts
Likes Given: 2811

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeninMN View Post
With the beer at room temperature, gently pry up on (but don't remove) the cap until CO2 starts to hiss out of the bottle. Once all of the excess CO2 escapes let off on the cap. It should seal back up. If not (or if you're not sure) you can clamp down on it with your bottle capper. Then refrigerate until cold and test to make sure the carbonation level is where you want it. It may take a few times to dial it in to where you want it.
I believe chilling them before doing that is better because it will keep the foam at bay better. If the issue was too much sugar, as long as the bottles are at room temp they will continue to carbonate and be over carbonated. You can or should keep them chilled to keep the yeast dormant. it won't kill the yeast, it will simply slow it. Those bottles should be consumed sooner rather than later.

You can uncap them warm, but I think chilling is better. I would also just uncap and use new sanitized caps.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 08-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
mkyl428
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello View Post
If the issue was too much sugar, as long as the bottles are at room temp they will continue to carbonate and be over carbonated. You can or should keep them chilled to keep the yeast dormant. it won't kill the yeast, it will simply slow it. Those bottles should be consumed sooner rather than later.
They have been in the bottle for almost a month so I would assume all the sugar is consumed. I am fine with pouring as is and letting degas in the glass as it warms to serving temp. My concern is the 2 bottles I am sending to competition I would like to reduce the carbonation to at least get it a bit closer to style without making it go flat.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
fixitoscar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I suggest doing this cold also. When it is warm a lot of co2 is going to want to come out of the liquid and probably foam over on you when you crack it.
You can put a penny on the cap while you crack it then re-crimp. this keeps the cap from deforming from the opener. Just open it enough to hear the hiss.

Quick Reply