Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > The reason its hard to save money homebrewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #61
brewmonk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 84

to the OP, I have not yet saved money on it, because I SPEND too much money on it. That's about it!

-I'm not getting older, but the floor is getting further away.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 02:24 AM   #62
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Ultimately all money goes down the drain but if you drink a lot of good beer it's justifiable. That is the lesson here. Hell it's justifiable if it makes you happy plain and simple.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:36 AM   #63
CollinLeon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inodoro_Pereyra View Post
What do you mean "we...in the US"?
Aren't you from the "Republic of Texas"???
I travel out of the Republic periodically...

"Most problems in life can be solved by the proper use of high explosives ... or beer ..."

Old 05-28-2011, 08:44 PM   #64
MazdaMatt
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Beef Baron is definitely NOT a classy place.

Yeah, big taxes on alcohol in ontario. I don't think the rest of Canada is as bad. The "Lowest Legal Price" to sell a 24 of beer is 24 dollars plus deposits. So you can get only the ****tiest of beer for 26.40/case (if deposit is still 10c, i forget)

Old 05-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #65
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMatt
Beef Baron is definitely NOT a classy place.

Yeah, big taxes on alcohol in ontario. I don't think the rest of Canada is as bad. The "Lowest Legal Price" to sell a 24 of beer is 24 dollars plus deposits. So you can get only the ****tiest of beer for 26.40/case (if deposit is still 10c, i forget)
That blows. We can get cases for 9.99 maybe even less. I wouldn't want to drink it but its good for alcoholics lol.

Beef Baron? What up with that?

Old 08-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #66
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1948 Times on 1707 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
That blows. We can get cases for 9.99 maybe even less. I wouldn't want to drink it but its good for alcoholics lol.

Beef Baron? What up with that?
I found out the hard way on a fact finding trip for Ford that the Beef Baron II is a classic burlesque joint. But they do have a whole cow leg bbq'd up in a warmer they carve for you. Beer was expensive @ 3.18 per bottle back then.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #67
Owly055
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default grain and hops

I have already invested in equipment, and it adds up even for a BIAB brewer like me. I use ONLY ezcap flip top bottles...... for several reasons, mainly because I like them. They added up to a fair piece of change. My BC mill took a nice bite out of my budget such as it is, two fermenters, airlocks, stock pot, etc.

The good part is that my base malt is costing me 50 cents a pound, though I was given the last 50 pounder. The grain bill adds up to about 2 pounds to the gallon. My most recent batch (2.5 gallons) used 4 pounds of two row $2.00, and half a pound of specialty malts $1.00, an ounce of hops $3.00. Harvested yeast... pennies for the starter, the gas to operate the stove, etc. Total cost probably hit the grand total of $6.50 for 17 half liter bottles of beer. Less than 40 cents a bottle...... call it 50 cents if you will to cover other expenses. In another year or so, I expect to be using my own hops. That'll cut my cost in half almost! I planned on doing some home malting, but the malting barley crop I had my eye on looks like it probably won't yield this year.......... was put in too late, and they are talking about cutting it for hay.

It's NOT about saving money, it's about doing something I want to do. Saving money is part of the challenge though.

H.W.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:31 PM   #68
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I see threads like this all the time, the best thing about this hobby is YOU can make it as cheep or expensive as YOU want it. I've been brewing now for 4 years and I can definitely say that I have recouped all of my money that I have put into it and now all I'm paying is ingredients and propane.

I make 10 gallon batches and DIY almost everything from as small as my grain mill to my 3 tier welded stand with keggles. I also buy used whenever possible, I have 8 plastic fermenters and I have only recently bought 2 new ones all others were used, along with various other brewing equipment, you just have to be patient and you can find some good deals.

It has already been said but buying grains and hops in bulk and reusing yeast is an easy way to cut your per batch cost down. I can make 10 gallons of most beers for somewhere between $30-50 but I'm not concerned with my cost at this point because I just like to make beer, you'll get to that point too someday just when only you can determine.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #69
DonH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

thread resurrection!

"Beer, Its the best damn drink in the world!"
-Jack Nicholson

Primary - 5.5 gallons of goat scrotum porter , 16 Gallons Golden Ale
Secondary - Empty
Tertiary - Doberman Triple IPA

On Deck - Pumpkin Spiced Ale

Old 08-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #70
edb
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Wow this was an old thread lol

Fermenter 1: IPA
Keg1: 15 Min Pale Wheat
Keg2: Hefeweizen
Bottles: Brown Biscuit Ale - SafeAle S-04 / Brown Biscuit Ale - Abbey Ale Yeast II

Quick Reply