Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > The reason its hard to save money homebrewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
DD2000GT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am a homebrewer for over 20 years and brew all grain now (that is the absolute cheapest way to go). I have a home-made igloo mash tun and bought a cheap aluminum 10 gallon boil kettle for $20. Used propane cajun cooker as well. Ingredients cost me around $15-$20 a batch depending on what I get (usually the lower end of that range) and kick in another buck or two for propane. I use local tap water as well.

So, for about $20 total I am brewing 5 gallons of beer. Some batches are awesome and better than I can buy, but most are just "good" compared to expensive quality craft beer I like to drink. Since I never buy $20/case Coors or the like anyway, most of my beer purchases are in the $7/ 6 pack range. So, $20 for 5 gallons of good homebrew or ~$50 for two cases of expensive craft brew - definately a money saver for me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #12
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boru

Huh, I didn't know extract was taxed! No wonder my AG batches are significantly cheaper. I figured grain was cheaper just because of the extra work involved.
I don't mean literally. I mean it's expensive. Almost 5 bucks a pound. My last beer was over 30 dollars just for the DME. Going to get a 55 pounder if I dont go AG soon.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #13
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2024 Times on 1773 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

The kind of craft beer we like is 7.99-10.99 per 6'r around here. So,for about the price of a case,I can brew up 6 gallons in my cooper's 30L fermenter,5-5.5 in my wife's ale pale. I've spent as little as about $28 on a 6G batch,depending on sales,specials,& whatnot.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #14
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

The reason it's hard to save money on homebrewing.

HBT

And all the frigging projects everyone else builds making the idea of building yourself seem normal instead of excessive

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 05-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #15
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I didn't get into home brewing to save money, I did it because 17 years ago there wasn't very many good beers available.

Now I buy everything in bulk and brew large batches, the upfront cost is high but each batch is cheap. A 30 gallon batch of an English mild costs me $30. You can't beat $0.75 per 6 pack!!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #16
bechard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMatt
I read these threads constantly and as a resident of Ontario the answer is always simple - homebrew is cheaper. Period. A 24 of coors light cost me 38 dollars last weekend. The idea of buying 24 guiness makes me think about my mortgage payments. There are 300ml bottles of craft brew for 4.00 (Innis & Gunn as well as Dragon Stout for examples).
+1 to this. LCBO and Beer Store prices suck, unless its a $6 Chimay Red.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #17
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2024 Times on 1773 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

Idk,I think about all I need & don't have is a 1/2" wine thief,or an auto syphon to get that last 6 bottles or so out from under my cooper's micro fermenter spigot.
Otherwise,it's just buying ingredients,caps every other batch,& PBW. Maybe I should buy more than 8oz at a time...

Old 05-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #18
Wakadaka
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

haha figured this would divulge into people saying how much money they save. I'm just saying that right when I thought I would be saving money, I am out about 50 bucks in wasted ingredient and new equipment.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #19
BryceL
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts

I haven't been brewing long enough to break even I don't think. But, that's not why I got into it anyway, so it's not a big deal to me. I don't think I will ever break even because with a keg of homebrew in my fridge, I'm sure I drink way more beer than I would if I didn't have my own. I pretty much at least have a glass everyday now. Before I started brewing I usually left it for the weekends.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #20
Ringmaster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I honestly wouldn't be drinking this much beer if i didn't make it. So no it's not a money saver for me. But i really enjoy making beer, i like the smell and i like the process. Plus the best beer i've ever had was a batch that i made, so that's why i continue to brew. Because i can't find beer this good elsewhere. Given it doesn't all turn out like that, but it's nice when it does.

Oh and i wouldn't trip about the equipment. you should be adding the total cost of the equipment with all of your batches, and then divide by how many batches you've made. Now if you intend to continuing brewing, there will be a point where the beer your making will be cheaper then buying beer, you just have to brew more

Quick Reply