Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > reason for beer changing color?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
zodiak3000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default reason for beer changing color?

i few batches ago i did keg to bottle transfers using this method-

worked great and have been using this method for over a year. heres the thing, the SRM of my DIPA was around 6.7. i noticed after crackin open a 1 month old bottle the color changed significantly (to about 9 SRM), some of the flavor as well. the beer was beautiful before, then turned to what looked like sewer water. what is the cause of this? oxidation?

i just kegged another DIPA, same grist. its been about 3 weeks in keg and i noticed the color on this one has changed as well. no keg to bottle transfers yet! id say this is about 8 SRM. flavor slightly astringent, what does not taste like hop astringency. pretty sure its not infected. what could be the cause of this? when i transferred to keg i put a muslin bag over the end of the siphon to catch as hop material that would flow into the keg. never had problems with this before. i did bleed the head space as well when kegged.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 02:13 AM   #2
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Could it be that your beer wasn't completely clear? Because yeast dropping out definitely makes beer look darker.

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 06-15-2012, 02:28 AM   #3
zodiak3000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
Could it be that your beer wasn't completely clear? Because yeast dropping out definitely makes beer look darker.
nah, i dont think its yeast. really wish i had some before and after pics to show.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:31 AM   #4
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Can you describe the color change? Is it just the dark light gradient or is it also color changing?

Old 06-15-2012, 02:41 AM   #5
zodiak3000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer View Post
Can you describe the color change? Is it just the dark light gradient or is it also color changing?
tough to say. lets picture a 6.7 SRM DIPA, something along the lines of stone ruination or a pliny. after a bottle transfer it really looks like dirty water or something. it might in fact be the same color when held to the light, but looks terrible sitting. i laughed at my BJCP notes from world beer cup because they said it was a little too dark for style. i thought they judged the wrong beer. then i cracked one that was a month old i was surpised. the thing is, this never happened before. maybe a need a new party nozzle/tubing on my keg? this one in the keg now looks fine, just darker than it was 3 weeks ago.

Quick Reply