Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > REALLY Late Oktoberfest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
NigeltheBold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default REALLY Late Oktoberfest

I know, it would be crazy to brew an Oktoberfest so late in the year, but I wanted to try it and see what happens.

I'd like it to be finished by mid to late October at the latest, and I want it to be as close to the real thing as possible. I know there is no way I'll be able to lager it long enough, but I thought if I use a lager yeast that can ferment at around 60 degrees (the temp. in my basement), I'll be able to cold-condition it for about a month in my fridge (which is between 35 and 40 degrees) after it sits in primary for awhile.

What kind of yeast should I use? How long should it sit in primary (at 60 degrees) and how long in cold conditioning (between 30 and 40 degrees)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
brick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Why not brew it as an ale with a clean ale yeast? If you brew this weekend you should have something ready to drink by mid October. It won't be "correct" but it should be good.

Homebrewing: because a bucket list should consist of actual buckets.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
NigeltheBold
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick View Post
Why not brew it as an ale with a clean ale yeast? If you brew this weekend you should have something ready to drink by mid October. It won't be "correct" but it should be good.
I'd rather brew it with a lager yeast, but maybe an ale yeast would be a better option. What about an "in-between" yeast like White Labs Cry Havoc? I could do two weeks at 60 degrees and then cold condition for three or four weeks...

Old 08-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #4
tyraindreams
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry for yet another slightly off topic question that I didn't want to start a new topic for, but why would it be late to start it? aging time? brewing time for the style?

Old 08-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Use the steam beer strain from white labs or wyeast. You'll get genuine lager character and it can handle temps up to 65*F. I always use it for my 'Fests. Ferments fast, clean, and tastes like a proper lager -- not like a clean ale. Ferment it cooler and it only gets better.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 08-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
NigeltheBold
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyraindreams View Post
Sorry for yet another slightly off topic question that I didn't want to start a new topic for, but why would it be late to start it? aging time? brewing time for the style?
Oktoberfests are typically brewed in the Spring and ferment/condition all summer long until late September arrives. They are lagered, so they take longer to ferment/condition and typically need a few months of cold storage to turn out right. I had no idea it took so long to make an Oktoberfest. That's why I'm late in starting mine. The one I make won't have the characteristics of a true Oktoberfest, but it might be better than no Oktoberfest at all.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
NigeltheBold
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeergeek View Post
Use the steam beer strain from white labs or wyeast. You'll get genuine lager character and it can handle temps up to 65*F. I always use it for my 'Fests. Ferments fast, clean, and tastes like a proper lager -- not like a clean ale. Ferment it cooler and it only gets better.
So how long would you suggest fermenting if I ferment at about 60 degrees? How long should I cold condition at 35-40 degrees?

Old 08-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #8
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

3 week primary, one week cold -- that will get you where you want.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 08-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I made an ale version with a neutral yeast when I first started homebrewing. It was a kit and it was ok. Definitely did not stand up against commercial versions. That probably has a lot to do with being a kit and no cold conditioning.

Maybe a kolsch strain could also work with giving you a really clean flavor and then you could lager it and maybe produce something a little faster. Just another option.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #10
tyraindreams
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chabutna View Post
Oktoberfests are typically brewed in the Spring and ferment/condition all summer long until late September arrives. They are lagered, so they take longer to ferment/condition and typically need a few months of cold storage to turn out right. I had no idea it took so long to make an Oktoberfest. That's why I'm late in starting mine. The one I make won't have the characteristics of a true Oktoberfest, but it might be better than no Oktoberfest at all.
Thanks for the response, it might not be spectacular but it would still be festive :P

Quick Reply