New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ready to bottle but beer has a very sweet smell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2007, 01:11 AM   #1
physast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ready to bottle but beer has a very sweet smell

Hello everyone. I am new and this is my first beer (oktoberfest)

The beer sat in the first fermenter for 5 days and the second fermenter (carboy) for 7 days but it has a very sweet smell to it. I also don't think that any fermentation has taken place in the second fermenter.

The color is cloudy amber color and has some of the malt grain seed casings floating on top.

Any suggestions. Did I screw something up?

Thanks for your help..

Charlie

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2007, 01:16 AM   #2
Hemi

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by physast
Hello everyone. I am new and this is my first beer (oktoberfest)

The beer sat in the first fermenter for 5 days and the second fermenter (carboy) for 7 days but it has a very sweet smell to it. I also don't think that any fermentation has taken place in the second fermenter.

The color is cloudy amber color and has some of the malt grain seed casings floating on top.

Any suggestions. Did I screw something up?

Thanks for your help..

Charlie
Remember to pitch the yeast ? Just kidding, what was the OG and what is the current reading.

On Tap: EdWort's Apfelwein #8, Starlight Cyser, Flat Ass Tired v1.2, Flast Ass Tired v1.2

Old 08-07-2007, 01:38 AM   #3
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

yep, need to know starting and current gravity.
5 days probably wasn't long enough in primary.

secondary isn't really a 'fermentation'...rather it gives the yeast time to sediment (flocculate) so the beer is more clear.

looking up Oktoberfest beers, it sounds like it should have a malty sweetness, but a dry finish, with no hop aroma.
beer IS sweet. hops are bitter. hops balance the sweetness of the malt sugar that does not ferment.

and really, the different ratios of sweetness to bitterness is a prime characteristic that defines one beer style from another.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 08-07-2007, 02:03 AM   #4
physast
Recipes 

Hi. Yeah it bubbled pretty good for two days and died out to nothing.

The original OG was 1.044 and right now is 1.019.

off the topic but what is your favorite beer kit.. ie.. true beer ect...

Old 08-07-2007, 02:11 AM   #5
Hemi

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yea, you should have left it in the primary until it hit around 1.013....It should make for a good session beer though. I would leave it in the secondary for another couple weeks, maybe even repitch. Your OG is very low and your FG is very high. What was your original boil volume, length of boil and boil temperature?

On Tap: EdWort's Apfelwein #8, Starlight Cyser, Flat Ass Tired v1.2, Flast Ass Tired v1.2

Old 08-07-2007, 03:19 AM   #6
physast
Recipes 

Would re pitching hurt the beer? How would you go about doing this? Just add activated yeast to the brew?

Length of boil was approximately 40 minutes with a almost 2 gal wart mixture. I steeped grains and added hops.

re pitching sounds interesting and would like to learn how to do this in case of situations like this.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:30 AM   #7
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

what yeast did you use? Fermentation temps?

Old 08-07-2007, 03:36 AM   #8
Hemi

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by physast
Would re pitching hurt the beer? How would you go about doing this? Just add activated yeast to the brew?

Length of boil was approximately 40 minutes with a almost 2 gal wart mixture. I steeped grains and added hops.

re pitching sounds interesting and would like to learn how to do this in case of situations like this.
Repitching won't hurt your beer as your just increasing the number of yeasties that will eat on the remaining fermentables and will fall out after fermentation is completed. Usually you want to boil for at least 60 minutes (depending on the recipe) at 212dF. Sounds like your end of boil volume was possibly a bit high. Your maximum ABV is probably about 4.33% and should get pretty close as long as your extract is of decent quality (doesn't contain high quantities of unfermentables). Your fermentation temps should stay about 63-68 degrees. A couple degrees lower and your yeast may go dormant.

Last edited by Hemi; 08-07-2007 at 03:38 AM.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:46 AM   #9
physast
Recipes 

fermentation temps have been 78dF I can't figure out how to get any lower without enormous electricity bills to keep the apartment lower. I used an ale yeast that came with the True Brew Oktoberfest kit.

What type of yeast should I use to re-pitch?

I think I boiled approximately a total of 60 minutes including the time to biol the hops in. I didn't strain the hops afterwards and that went into the first fermenting bucket.

I am still learning and really enjoy the hobby! I can't wait to get better and start making my own recipes although I know this is far from now...

Old 08-07-2007, 03:49 AM   #10
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 580 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Do NOTHING except RDWHAHB! You have given your beer the absolute minimum amount of time to finish. Take another sample in three days. If it hasn't changed, consider bottling. I bet it goes a little lower, even though it's off the primary yeast cake.

Quick Reply