Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ready to bottle ??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
kiwiguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ready to bottle ??

Hi This is only my second brew so I apologise if this is a very simple question.

The brew has been fermenting for two weeks, I read somewhere not to leave it in the drum to long.. It is still bubbling every 30 seconds or so. is it still not rady to bottle ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
Irisndfan2
Recipes 

i Have bottled after only two weeks in fermentation. Only true way to tell is to take a hydrometer reading. Alot of people let it sit in the fermenter for up to a month before bottling, but if fermentation is done based on gravity readings, then you could bottle.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

what you read was out-dated. you can leave it in the fermenter for very long periods (months) with no side-effects. the current standard is leaving it in the primary for 3+ weeks. also, even if the beer is completely fermented, you want to leave it on the yeast for at least an additional week to clean up some of its byproducts and clarify

Old 02-18-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
kiwiguy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
what you read was out-dated. you can leave it in the fermenter for very long periods (months) with no side-effects. the current standard is leaving it in the primary for 3+ weeks. also, even if the beer is completely fermented, you want to leave it on the yeast for at least an additional week to clean up some of its byproducts and clarify
thanks for the helpful info guys I appreciate it alot

Old 02-19-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
Pezman1
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Never bottle if the airlock is still bubbling at all....ever! You will make bottle bombs.

You have been given good advice by the above posters.

Your best bet is to buy a hydrometer as suggested and only bottle after taking two identical readings at least 3 days apart.

If not, let the beer sit in primary AT LEAST 3 weeks before bottling. My best beers to date have sat in primary for a month, so don't fear.

Pez.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:24 AM   #6
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Airlock activity doesn't necessarily mean bottle bombs. A lot of things can cause airlock activity. Buy a hydrometer.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:29 AM   #7
Pezman1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwhite41 View Post
Airlock activity doesn't necessarily mean bottle bombs. A lot of things can cause airlock activity. Buy a hydrometer.
Only two things cause airlock bubbling that I am aware of. They are unfinished fermentation or an infection.
If you bottle something that is still causing a bubble every 30 seonds, you WILL create a bottle bomb....quickly. Pez.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:45 AM   #8
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezman1 View Post
Only two things cause airlock bubbling that I am aware of. They are unfinished fermentation or an infection..
and trapped CO2, temperature changes, dry hopping, settling, vibrations, ... without a hydrometer reading, bubbling is meaningless, theres too many things that can cause it

Old 02-19-2011, 01:58 AM   #9
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezman1 View Post
Only two things cause airlock bubbling that I am aware of. They are unfinished fermentation or an infection.
If you bottle something that is still causing a bubble every 30 seonds, you WILL create a bottle bomb....quickly. Pez.
Just because CO2 is escaping doesn't mean it's being created. See above post.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:02 AM   #10
Pezman1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
and trapped CO2, temperature changes, dry hopping, settling, vibrations, ... without a hydrometer reading, bubbling is meaningless, theres too many things that can cause it
Well, all those things would cause just a few temporary bubbles to equalize the pressure - not a continuous bubble every 30 seconds. I was not refering to a bubble in the airlock if you bumped your carboy.

The one thing I have no experience with is dry hopping, but I can't see how that would start such a large, continuous volume of Co2. If it does, then I've learned something new.

I have to disagree with your statement about bubbling being meaningless. Something is causing that steady stream of gas bubbles every 30 seconds. Put that into a bottle and cap it.... boom.
Pez.

Quick Reply