New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > reading a hydrometer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2005, 03:35 PM   #11
Brew_Barron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

OK guys, a bit of an update on the brew.
After 4 days I transfered to secondary with reading of 1020, another 4 days have passed (first day a very thin layer of bubbles appeared on the surface then went) and the bubbles going through the airlock have all but stopped (one every 5-8 mins). I took another reading to see if it was ready to move on to my king keg and it is still at 1020 and still smells very sweet, has my yeast given up the ghost and if so what do I do next get another pack of yeast and pitch it in?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2005, 12:53 PM   #12
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

1020 seems a bit high, but could be right for the style.

What kind of brew was/is it?

Old 05-16-2005, 01:09 PM   #13
Brew_Barron
Recipes 

It is a Muntons Best Bitter Kit, I must admit I was not impressed by the yeast head it formed on the primary, very thin and just looked like a few bubbles.
Now there is no head on the secondary

Old 05-16-2005, 02:17 PM   #14
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

A bitter is basically what we just call beer (IMO) so 1020 would be considered too high.

Have you sampled any? Is it too sweet? Too bitter?

Do you think that pitching more yeast will solve your problem?

Old 05-16-2005, 02:21 PM   #15
Brew_Barron
Recipes 

Yeah, it tastes very sweet and slightly acidic. The back ground taste is fine but the sweetness hits you in the face.
I have no idea about the yeast but if there is still a lot of fermentable sugar in the brew and the current yeast has stopped would more yeast carry on where the first lot may have failed?
Would I treat this as a primary again and take it off to secondary in a week if I pitched more yeast?
Cheers
Mark

Old 05-16-2005, 02:51 PM   #16
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Yes, you are correct. Pitch more yeast - make sure you make a starter first, and then treat this as a primary again. Just keep the cover and airlock on it in the meantime.

I don't know if you made a starter the first time, but I suppose now you understand why you should. It gives you peace of mind by ensuring your yeast is lively.

Old 05-21-2005, 10:42 PM   #17
OBX
Recipes 

When do you take the final FG reading? Do you take a reading before or after adding the priming sugar? I keep taking my FG reading after I have racked the beer from my secondary into my bottling pale and added the priming sugar. It is just so much easier to sanitize the hydrometer and drop it in the pale. Will the priming sugar raise the FG reading or won't it?

My last brew was a nut brown ale and I started off at 1.058 and 19 days later I bottled and my reading in the pale was 1.019. It tasted pretty good for a flat beer. I am not too worried about the readings, but I was wondering if the priming sugar would raise my reading much, if at all.

No matter what I say - I don't know what I am doing!
OBX

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottle conditioning: Stout (1-07)
Drinking: Robust Porter
Next up: not sure

Old 05-22-2005, 09:22 AM   #18
Brew_Barron
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
Yes, you are correct. Pitch more yeast - make sure you make a starter first, and then treat this as a primary again. Just keep the cover and airlock on it in the meantime.

I don't know if you made a starter the first time, but I suppose now you understand why you should. It gives you peace of mind by ensuring your yeast is lively.
Ok a couple of days on now and after pitching more yeast the brew has now settled at a reading of 1008/9 which is the target for this beer so it has now gone into my King Keg with 4oz of dissolved sugar.
I am aiming to leave it in airing cupboard for 3 days and then at around 19-20 degrees C for around three weeks, does that sound about right?

Sorry OBX cant help on your question.

Cheers
Mark

Old 05-22-2005, 02:24 PM   #19
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBX
When do you take the final FG reading?
From my readings (books and forums), it seems common place to take the reading before adding priming sugars. The ammount of sugar you are adding isn't going to change the gravity too significantly though. Next time you brew, take the few extra steps / time to take one before and after you prime and see what ya get! In my opinion, I would go with pre-addition of sugars just so when you are comparing numbers with other home brewers, you are comparing apples to apples. I have followed the wisdom of some of our more experienced brewers on this forum (against the wisdom of some others however) and I do not put much faith in the readings. I do still take these readings though since I am trying to collect as much info on my brew as I can so that in the future, if I deem this as good info to have, it will be available in my archives. Another one to ponder... taking a gravity reading of the wort prior to and after adding yeast! I may do that experiment today and then the fore-mentioned experiment when I go to bottle.

Beer lovers make better drinkers.

Old 05-23-2005, 12:29 AM   #20
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerNeedOfBeer
From my readings (books and forums), it seems common place to take the reading before adding priming sugars. The ammount of sugar you are adding isn't going to change the gravity too significantly though. Next time you brew, take the few extra steps / time to take one before and after you prime and see what ya get! In my opinion, I would go with pre-addition of sugars just so when you are comparing numbers with other home brewers, you are comparing apples to apples. I have followed the wisdom of some of our more experienced brewers on this forum (against the wisdom of some others however) and I do not put much faith in the readings. I do still take these readings though since I am trying to collect as much info on my brew as I can so that in the future, if I deem this as good info to have, it will be available in my archives. Another one to ponder... taking a gravity reading of the wort prior to and after adding yeast! I may do that experiment today and then the fore-mentioned experiment when I go to bottle.
Even if you don't rely on a hydrometer to give you accurate alcohol content, it does come in very useful in judging if fermenatation is really done. If you take three separate readings over a few days, and each time the number is exactly the same, you know the yeast is done - either your fermenation is done, or stuck.

Quick Reply