Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Re-using yeast: use it all, or make starter from a portion?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
Boondoggie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Re-using yeast: use it all, or make starter from a portion?

I'm moving a batch from Primary to Secondary this week, and I plan on washing the yeast, and using it in another batch this weekend.

Should I just repitch all that I end up with after washing?

Should I make a starter with a portion?

Should I pitch just a portion?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
TelemarkBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

if you're using it after only a few days, no need to do a starter. the mrmalty.com calculator will tell you how much volume of slurry you need to pitch in the new beer.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1020 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You're talking about reuse in less than a week's time. I would collect about a quart of slurry in a sanitized container and pitch that rather than washing it. I only do the washing routine if I plan to save it for a month or more.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply