*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Re-use twist off caps?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
AugustDerleth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Re-use twist off caps?

Can a proper fit still be made with a capper by saving caps from twist off bottles? I know they aren't flayed like unused caps from LHBS, but with a capper can you make a good fit? I was thInking about pouring fresh sprite in a bottle, attempting to reuse a twist off cap and open it in a week to see if it was still carbonated. Anyone tried this before with positive or negative results? I'm big on recycling and these caps are trash unless I can reuse them. Thanks in advance!

Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwein, S.O.F. Ale, D.C.O.S., AAA2, AAA3, OSS, SS211, DPDB, Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Arachnid Brown Ale, Oktoberfeast, Apple Cider1, Apple Cider2, AAA1

SWIBA: (She Who Is Bad Ass) bought me a 6gal Better Bottle! Excellent.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Caps are dirt cheap, why would you even want to risk anything by trying to reuse what is probably the cheapest thing we use in brewing there is?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Caps are dirt cheap, why would you even want to risk anything by trying to reuse what is probably the cheapest thing we use in brewing there is?
Guess I should stop reusing my water than.........

Old 10-13-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 69

I would be interested in this expirement because then this means that I could reuse those caps with those bottles... I have a lot friends that would be willing to donate twist off bottles and caps

Old 10-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Bottles are cheap too, I never understood why people have problems finding bottles. We have old bins full of thousands of bottles, even if we didn't I'm sure I could find a brewpub somewhere to donate them, or a dang recycle bin somewhere or something? I'm confused.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLObrewer View Post
Bottles are cheap too, I never understood why people have problems finding bottles. We have old bins full of thousands of bottles, even if we didn't I'm sure I could find a brewpub somewhere to donate them, or a dang recycle bin somewhere or something? I'm confused.
my friends would wash them out, so they are clean. Bars and stuff will have crab going in them... just one more worry or step in the cleaning process

Old 10-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
Fantastical
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've never tried recapping a used cap onto a bottle but I have tried twisting it back onto the bottle. I put some pop into the bottle and had it upside down for 5 minutes and gave it a shake too. No leaks!

Like everyone else, I wouldn't recommend doing this. In a pinch maybe but it's really not worth the risk.

I actually lucked out and found someone getting out of brewing beer who sold me 2100 bottle caps for $25!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:04 PM   #8
AugustDerleth
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
So is it plausible? And I stated the reason why, these caps are TRASH unless I find a way to reuse them.
Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwein, S.O.F. Ale, D.C.O.S., AAA2, AAA3, OSS, SS211, DPDB, Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Arachnid Brown Ale, Oktoberfeast, Apple Cider1, Apple Cider2, AAA1

Old 10-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #9
AugustDerleth
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
I would be interested in this expirement because then this means that I could reuse those caps with those bottles... I have a lot friends that would be willing to donate twist off bottles and caps
I would not advise re-using twist off bottles to put non-twist caps on, they do NOT create a proper seal and your alcohol will come out flat. However, if you are able to tighten it up enough I wonder if using twist off bottles and tops would be a good alternative! I've been having to recycle bottles because they're twist-off, it'd be awesome if I could just re-use them!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #10
mr_bell
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Go for it. Personally, never tried it and no interest. The question is why?? I'm with Revy on this one. Sometimes you can cut corners--but sometimes really not worth it. My opinion, of course.

Personally, I spring for the oxygen absorbing caps and consider those a worthwhile investment.

Quick Reply