Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Re-hydrating yeast kills?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 03:47 AM   #71
Dynachrome
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 469

This is what mine looks like after a few hours:

Would one of you guys with more experience be interested in giving this a try and comparing your results?

It is kind of difficult to see, but some of the dry yeast is actually still dry and in a raft in the middle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 03:57 AM   #72
mammothkraken
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeRider View Post

Is there a way to determine how much yeast survived and how much died?
Unless you're brewing a high gravity beer I wouldn't even bother worrying about it. There is not an exact way to tell how much died and how much survived. In my experience even without rehydration I've always ended up with the same result... beer. Which I'm guessing is your primary concern!
Dry yeast has plenty of cells in a packet to pull you through a fermentation, otherwise people wouldn't buy it.

Go forth and make good beer!

Old 01-03-2013, 04:09 AM   #73
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynachrome View Post
This is what mine looks like after a few hours:

Would one of you guys with more experience be interested in giving this a try and comparing your results?

It is kind of difficult to see, but some of the dry yeast is actually still dry and in a raft in the middle.
Is that just water and yeast? Looks like a little LDME is in those jars. Why hours vs 15 min like the instructions recommend?

Old 01-03-2013, 04:10 AM   #74
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3336 Times on 2065 Posts
Likes Given: 2835

Quote:
Is there a way to determine how much yeast survived and how much died?
Yes. You'd need a microscope (400x or better), a hemocytometer (cell counter), and a stain to determine viability, which is the percent alive. Lots of brewers here do just that. It's not practical for every brew, but great for doing some studies.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:16 AM   #75
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Yes. You'd need a microscope (400x or better), a hemocytometer (cell counter), and a stain to determine viability, which is the percent alive. Lots of brewers here do just that. It's not practical for every brew, but great for doing some studies.
Maybe I should've payed more attention in my HS science class lol.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:35 AM   #76
mammothkraken
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:

Maybe I should've payed more attention in my HS science class lol.
I should've said yes it's possible to look at a sample and estimate based off that...
Either way there is no simple test to perform as a new homebrewer to determine the exact number of your 230+ billion cells that survived.
I doubt you'll have any reason to question the viability of yeast for your early batches anyways.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #77
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Is that just water and yeast? Looks like a little LDME is in those jars. Why hours vs 15 min like the instructions recommend?
I put a little table sugar in it. DME has been suggested by board members. I don't keep a stock on hand.

The reason for hours is that I cool my wort on the back deck. It takes longer and I have time, so I let the yeast do their thing for a while rather than just pouring them in at the last minute.

It does seem to greatly accelerate the start of fermentation as I think Mammothkraken said his results were.

Note to self. Pick up some DME. ...it could also be used to adjust Specific Gravity in a pinch.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #78
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppyending View Post
You have not read enough about it then. It is a personal choice. Grow up. Its a game of chance both ways... Except damaged cells in wort can recover.
It's a personal choice only in the sense that you will probably get decent beer either way. It's completely misleading to call it a game of chance. I've yet to see any good evidence that rehydrating in wort is beneficial (if your links discussed any, I couldn't read them because neither worked), and several reputable sources claim and provide plausible explanations as to why it is probably harmful. The Cone article linked specifically claims that 100% of the viable yeast in a dry yeast packet remain viable after rehydration at the proper temperature in tap water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppyending View Post
I would never hesitate to have beginner brewers which this forum section is, to just toss it in. There is many things while hydrating that can kill off the yeast. In the beginning with all this new and exciting brewing going on this is one step that need not be done to have good beer.
Of all the things that one needs to do to produce good beer, rehydration is just about the simplest. If you're not capable of boiling water and cooling it to 105°F, I don't see how even an extract batch is going to turn out at all. While I'm all in favor of simplifying the process at the beginning, establishing bad habits is counterproductive, at least when the alternative is so straightforward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynachrome View Post
The reason for hours is that I cool my wort on the back deck. It takes longer and I have time, so I let the yeast do their thing for a while rather than just pouring them in at the last minute.
While you may have time, at least according to the article linked above, letting the yeast do their thing is probably counterproductive since you're mostly letting them burn through the energizer reserves that were packed into the dry yeast packet.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #79
Demus
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post
It's a personal choice only in the sense that you will probably get decent beer either way. It's completely misleading to call it a game of chance. I've yet to see any good evidence that rehydrating in wort is beneficial (if your links discussed any, I couldn't read them because neither worked), and several reputable sources claim and provide plausible explanations as to why it is probably harmful. The Cone article linked specifically claims that 100% of the viable yeast in a dry yeast packet remain viable after rehydration at the proper temperature in tap water.

Of all the things that one needs to do to produce good beer, rehydration is just about the simplest. If you're not capable of boiling water and cooling it to 105°F, I don't see how even an extract batch is going to turn out at all. While I'm all in favor of simplifying the process at the beginning, establishing bad habits is counterproductive, at least when the alternative is so straightforward.

While you may have time, at least according to the article linked above, letting the yeast do their thing is probably counterproductive since you're mostly letting them burn through the energizer reserves that were packed into the dry yeast packet.
Zeg, I'm trying too but some folks just want to re-invent the wheel!! Why so much resistance to a 15 minute process supported by many experts is truly beyond me...

Old 01-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #80
Stix
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Boiling water does nothing to certain toxins in the water or a contaminated container. Temp probe could be off. Your all looking down a tunnel and a land full of fairy tales and unicorns. In the real world its not as perfect as you make it. Why worry about something that does not effect the outcome of your beer? Wait let m guess if you had a side by side you would nail it every time. Your making a big deal out of nothing.

You need not rehydrate to make a good beer. This is where you are wrong.

Do what ya want and love what ya do. Everything else is just opinion.

Quick Reply