Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Re-hydrating yeast kills?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 03:40 AM   #61
Stix
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
There really is no reason to not rehydrate. I also use a little nutrient, like GoFerm when doing it. I have always rehydrated my wine yeast and although I primarily use liquid yeast, I have used dry on occasion and always rehydrate it. But then again, I would never use liquid without a starter either. Yeast is by far the most important ingredient in the beer, you might as well give it every advantage.

As far as liquid. I am with you all the way. That stuff is expensive! Want every advantage? Buy another packet of dry yeast for 2 bucks. Problem solved and no guessing.

Do what ya want and love what ya do. Everything else is just opinion.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 03:44 AM   #62
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothkraken View Post
I have let it sit in the wort rehydrating for upwards of 2 hours. The other day I was making an IPA and it rehydrated during my 90 minute boil and my 30 minutes of cooling afterwards. By the time I was ready to pitch it was very thick and foamy and took off like a rocket.
That is an apt description of my results also without the stirring.

In fact, I placed one of my re-hydrated batches into really cool wort, about 48 degrees. As it warmed up, the fermentation really took off. I didn't document times, but it was surprisingly fast to start foaming. I'd say a couple hours.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:44 AM   #63
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 70

My concerns with yeast are its health, not necessarily the numbers. The one caution I will say is to never use distilled or RO water to rehydrate...too much osmotic pressure.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 01-03-2013, 03:46 AM   #64
mobilecabinworks
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250 View Post
Um, aren't you "re-hydrating" when you pitch the dry yeast onto the wet wort?

Rick
Yeast have a harder time of rehydrating their cells with H2O to start processing fermentable sugars when the liquid they are immediately immersed in is loaded with sugar. This is due to osmotic pressure. By allowing them to replenish their "bodies" with water first allows them to process sugars faster and cleaner.

For example, you wouldn't go to the bar for a heavy night of drinking after walking out of a desert being completely dehydrated. You would want to rehydrate first in order to process your drinks. Maybe not the best analogy, but you get the point. Cheers!

Here's an link that discribes it pretty well: http://chemed.chem.wisc.edu/chempath...ssure-854.html

Old 01-03-2013, 03:54 AM   #65
Stix
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I am concerned for their health aswell. Though I have all but given up on dry yeast. I would never hesitate to have beginner brewers which this forum section is, to just toss it in. There is many things while hydrating that can kill off the yeast. In the beginning with all this new and exciting brewing going on this is one step that need not be done to have good beer.

As you progress and get more in tune and in the rhythm of the steps. Take the time and rehydrate. To me I still would not do it. I have made the same beer split into to batches and they both came out the same. Not scientific but enough for me to not worry about it. I have sense moved to starters and liquid.

Have a good night. I love this topic. One of my favorites.

Do what ya want and love what ya do. Everything else is just opinion.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:01 AM   #66
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3704 Times on 2278 Posts
Likes Given: 3208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppyending View Post
As far as liquid. I am with you all the way. That stuff is expensive! Want every advantage? Buy another packet of dry yeast for 2 bucks. Problem solved and no guessing.
I think this is great advice.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:19 AM   #67
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 9

This thread has proven to be very informational. Thanks again everybody for your replies. I have already brewed my first beer without rehydrating the yeast and the fermentation was great. The initial fermentation was completed in 4 days according to my hydrometer readings. My next brew is the Octane IPA, ordered today from MidWest Supplies. I will try the re-hydrating method following the manufacturers directions. When I do this how will I know if the yeast did not survive? Do I have to take continuous hydrometer readings after a few days if I see no fermentation? Can I go and buy another packet of yeast and pitch in the wort even though there are dead yeast cells already in it?

Old 01-03-2013, 04:22 AM   #68
mammothkraken
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I only recently started rehydrating in wort and similarly Fermentis only recently suggested it...maybe they know something that we don't know about their product. I'm not discrediting anyone's opinion but I doubt they would advise you to rehydrate their yeast in wort if it produced undesirable results, why would you buy their product if that was the case?

Old 01-03-2013, 04:25 AM   #69
mammothkraken
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeRider View Post
This thread has proven to be very informational. Thanks again everybody for your replies. I have already brewed my first beer without rehydrating the yeast and the fermentation was great. The initial fermentation was completed in 4 days according to my hydrometer readings. My next brew is the Octane IPA, ordered today from MidWest Supplies. I will try the re-hydrating method following the manufacturers directions. When I do this how will I know if the yeast did not survive? Do I have to take continuous hydrometer readings after a few days if I see no fermentation? Can I go and buy another packet of yeast and pitch in the wort even though there are dead yeast cells already in it?
Follow their directions and the yeast will survive. If your fermentor is sealed up well you will see signs of fermentation in the airlock and life will be joyous.

If by some freak chance you don't see signs of fermentation via airlock or hydrometer then go buy more yeast and pitch it in...but be sure to post here if said thing happens because I will be amazed.

Cheers!

Old 01-03-2013, 04:29 AM   #70
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothkraken View Post
Follow their directions and the yeast will survive. If your fermentor is sealed up well you will see signs of fermentation in the airlock and life will be joyous.

If by some freak chance you don't see signs of fermentation via airlock or hydrometer then go buy more yeast and pitch it in...but be sure to post here if said thing happens because I will be amazed.

Cheers!
Is there a way to determine how much yeast survived and how much died?

Quick Reply