Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Re-hydrating yeast kills?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #91
passedpawn
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 18,200
Liked 3022 Times on 1906 Posts
Likes Given: 2559

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppyending View Post
Where you see snooty? Sorry you do not read your own thread.

You could be a nicer person. I see your point about using a second packet of yeast, but that's not what this entire thread was about. It's about the best way to rehydrate yeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppyending View Post
Grow up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppyending View Post
Your logic is flawed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppyending View Post
Your just be ridiculous now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppyending View Post
Your all looking down a tunnel and a land full of fairy tales and unicorns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppyending View Post
Wait let m guess if you had a side by side you would nail it every time. Your making a big deal out of nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppyending View Post
Try to read my posts before such silly comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppyending View Post
Sorry you do not read your own thread.
__________________
try to earn what lovers own
passedpawn is offline
Darwin18 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 12:43 AM   #92
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BansheeRider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,446
Liked 97 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
You could be a nicer person. I see your point about using a second packet of yeast, but that's not what this entire thread was about. It's about the best way to rehydrate yeast.
LOL...his signature also says it all
__________________

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

BansheeRider is offline
djt17 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 12:49 AM   #93
Stix
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Stix's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Davisburg, Mi
Posts: 178
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
You could be a nicer person. I see your point about using a second packet of yeast, but that's not what this entire thread was about. It's about the best way to rehydrate yeast.
All true statements. Nothing snooty. Should I post all the rude comments to me? No I need not. Glad you think I am so important that you can quote me so much.

Atleast you went back and read my posts. I agree re hydrating is fine. I just wanted to make sure they know it is not fool proof either and you can toss it in and have a great beer.

There is drawbacks to both. Pick your poison.

I apologize if I offended anyone. Just passionate I am
__________________

Do what ya want and love what ya do. Everything else is just opinion.

Stix is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 03:40 AM   #94
Demus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,134
Liked 137 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppyending View Post
Boiling water does nothing to certain toxins in the water or a contaminated container. Temp probe could be off. Your all looking down a tunnel and a land full of fairy tales and unicorns. In the real world its not as perfect as you make it. Why worry about something that does not effect the outcome of your beer? Wait let m guess if you had a side by side you would nail it every time. Your making a big deal out of nothing.

You need not rehydrate to make a good beer. This is where you are wrong.
And which toxins are referring to? Do they leach into the water from the hoofs or the horns of the unicorn? Perhaps you shouldn't use such dangerous water in your beer either...

You know, I could probably get away with not sanitizing my carboys a few times. If it worked and I made a great beer, does that mean I could jump on here and tell everyone they shouldn't waste their time??
__________________
Demus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 03:47 AM   #95
Demus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,134
Liked 137 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeRider View Post
I have read mixed reviews about re-hydrating dry yeast and pitching yeast in cool temps. So, if pitching yeast in high temperature wort kills the yeast then how does re-hydrating yeast not kill, considering the water temp for hydrating yeast is 90-110 degrees? Sorry for the noob question
To get back to the original post, pitching dry yeast into 105 degree wort wouldn't kill them (at least by temperature), you just don't want to ferment that high for flavor reasons. Yeast produce more off flavor compounds at higher temperatures. Wort kills as much as 50% of dehydrated yeast because the dried cells cannot yet regulate how much sugar they take in and burst. Rehydration is an intermediate step to prevent this prior to pitching to preserve more of the yeast for the pitch. There is obviously much debate over whether or not it's "necessary", but that's what it is. Sorry if you got dragged in to a slugfest between students of brewing and the "it works for me so it's the right way" crowd...
__________________
Demus is offline
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 04:09 AM   #96
CiscoKid
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CiscoKid's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 265
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

http://koehlerbeer.com/2008/06/07/re...-clayton-cone/

I've never actually be able to authenticate that this e-mail really was from Dr. Cone, who probably has forgotten more about yeast than I ever learned, but it certainly makes sense and aligns with the instructions you find on the Danstar packages that Lallemand Labs produces.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post
If you drink enough of it, it should come out very clear with just a tad bit of yellowish color.
CiscoKid is offline
Demus Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 04:21 AM   #97
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BansheeRider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,446
Liked 97 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demus View Post
To get back to the original post, pitching dry yeast into 105 degree wort wouldn't kill them (at least by temperature), you just don't want to ferment that high for flavor reasons. Yeast produce more off flavor compounds at higher temperatures. Wort kills as much as 50% of dehydrated yeast because the dried cells cannot yet regulate how much sugar they take in and burst. Rehydration is an intermediate step to prevent this prior to pitching to preserve more of the yeast for the pitch. There is obviously much debate over whether or not it's "necessary", but that's what it is. Sorry if you got dragged in to a slugfest between students of brewing and the "it works for me so it's the right way" crowd...
Nah it's alright. Needless to say, I've learned a lot.
__________________

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

BansheeRider is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #98
Demus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,134
Liked 137 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeRider View Post
Nah it's alright. Needless to say, I've learned a lot.
Then all is well! Brew on my friend!!
__________________
Demus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #99
Stix
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Stix's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Davisburg, Mi
Posts: 178
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demus View Post
And which toxins are referring to? Do they leach into the water from the hoofs or the horns of the unicorn? Perhaps you shouldn't use such dangerous water in your beer either...

You know, I could probably get away with not sanitizing my carboys a few times. If it worked and I made a great beer, does that mean I could jump on here and tell everyone they shouldn't waste their time??
Feeling strong again after you were caught in lies? Your able to try and be cute again? Obviously you do not really want to learn anything, you're just on a bandwagon. No real knowledge about this subject.

My statements are true. I cannot force you to agree or like them.

I had apologized and you return with this posting??

Have a great day Demus.
__________________

Do what ya want and love what ya do. Everything else is just opinion.

Stix is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #100
Demus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,134
Liked 137 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppyending View Post
Feeling strong again after you were caught in lies? Your able to try and be cute again? Obviously you do not really want to learn anything, you're just on a bandwagon. No real knowledge about this subject.

My statements are true. I cannot force you to agree or like them.

I had apologized and you return with this posting??

Have a great day Demus.
Lies? Seriously?? Ask BansheeRider if he thinks I've been lying to him. Are you off your meds or something?
__________________
Demus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re-hydrating dry yeast togodoug Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 05-16-2011 04:14 PM
Re-hydrating dry yeast togodoug Fermentation & Yeast 5 05-16-2011 06:02 AM
Re-hydrating dry yeast togodoug Fermentation & Yeast 2 05-16-2011 03:13 AM
re hydrating yeast? newbrewr4fun Soda Making 1 07-22-2008 02:05 PM
Hydrating yeast? EamusCatuli Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 01-22-2008 11:32 PM