Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Re-hydrate the yeast or sprinkle it on?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2011, 12:09 AM   #1
WortCarboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Re-hydrate the yeast or sprinkle it on?

Hello everyone,

First post here, making my first batch: A Canadian Red Ale extract /w dry yeast package.

I am trying to make the best beer possible and am willing to do the extra steps to do so. I have been reading numerous instructions on the best ways to brew and one thing that I am not sure of is how to pitch the yeast.

There seems to be two methods:
1) Re-hydrate the yeast for 15 minutes until fermenting. Poor into fermentor and stir.
2) Sprinkle the yeast onto the top of the wort in the fermentor and do not disturb.

What is the generally accepted best way of pitching the yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #2
macsyrinx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I never rehydrate, but that's just my experience. I'm not sure if there is a generally accepted method, but here's a good thread regarding your question:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/rehydrating-dry-yeast-not-necessary-62514/

unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep

Old 09-04-2011, 12:25 AM   #3
WortCarboy
Recipes 

Awesome, thanks for the link mac,

Gonna go with the sprinkle method for this batch.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:43 AM   #4
drkaeppel
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 141

I typically just follow directions on the pack. If I remember correctly, I think SafAle says to just sprinkle it on the wort. Danstar recommends rehydrating. Pretty sure the difference would be negligible either way.

Good luck!

-Dave

"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day.Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life." -Anonymous

Old 09-04-2011, 12:46 AM   #5
zyx345
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I normally sprinkle on top of cooled wort and do not stir. I've read that its advisable to try and avoild letting it "clump up" so I tend to sprinkle the yeast as evenly as I can on the top of the wort.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:51 AM   #6
JoeyChopps
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 187 Posts

I use to sprink it on in a bucket then pour into a carboy for extra airation with great results

Old 09-04-2011, 01:06 AM   #7
flipfloptan
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

there was a podcast epidsode last month on basic brewing about this topic. it was an experiment on two batches one sprinkle, one rehydrated.

If you have a. d. d. like me I will summarize. The science show that yeast has more viability if you rehydrate. The tasting showed that they couldn't agree on any one method tasting better. They did agree rehydrating may help with bigger beers.

Personally, I just sprinkle. Hasn't failed me yet and I am not introducing another step that could lead to infection.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:18 AM   #8
Jcmccoy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Rehydrate it helps the yeast with the shock of going on to the wort. More yeast cells will live if you rehydrate.

"Good people drink good beer"- Hunter S. T

Old 09-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #9
LKABrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you are cold pitching into 62* wort and rehydrating at 85*, how does this not shock the yeast?

For homebrew supplies and equipment in Fredericksburg, VA go to thebrewshop.biz.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:12 AM   #10
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

LKABrewer I don't think they mean thermal shock... they are referring to the dry yeast re-hydrating and water and other wort materials moving across the yeasts cell walls. When re-hydrated in warm water the cells have a better chance of not being destroyed during this process.

I've re-hydrated and just sprinkled on top of the wort. I believe in MY experience that fermentation takes place a little bit faster when the yeast are re-hydrated (and when you make a starter). I would recommend re-hydrating for big beers as suggested as you need a much higher overall cell count to ferment correctly and completely.

Quick Reply