Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Re-Aerate When Pitching New Yeast & Adding Fruit (Lambic)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Re-Aerate When Pitching New Yeast & Adding Fruit (Lambic)

Ok, so I am "attempting" my first Lambic. I brewed it up this morning and pitched US-05 for the first phase of fermentation. After that has completed I will be racking onto 46oz of Raspberry Puree and my pitching Belgian Lambic Blend Yeast (wyeast).

My question is... Is it ok to re-aerate after racking onto the raspberries and pitching my liquid yeast? I believe that it would be OK because the new yeast/bacteria will go through there own fermentation cycle and will need available oxygen to do so...and will ultimately purge the carboy of all oxygen. Is this correct?

Last edited by BradleyBrew; 08-29-2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: cant type, spell, or read lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2011, 01:46 AM   #2
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I didn't bother to aerate for the lambic yeast when I did this. I basically didn't worry about how much 'splashing' when I racked also.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:58 AM   #3
dwarven_stout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Don't aerate. The sour bugs in that mix don't like oxygen, and may even be killed by it.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Quick Reply