RDWHAHB pays off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telemaster

Reaction score
I brewed a wheat several weeks ago, and the fermentation seemed to have stalled. I waited, and waited, but the SG just wouldn't move. I decided to remove the lid and use my long plastic brewing spoon to stir everything up and get the yeast back in suspension.

I washed the spoon and sprayed the heck out of it with sanitizer. I waited another couple weeks for the SG to drop a few more points and bottled. When I tasted the sample it was awfully sour. Disgusting actually; I even spit out the sample. I was convinced I had introduced some kind of nasty infection when I stired the yeast into suspension again. The damage was done and I had ruined my first batch of beer... or so I thought.

It was already in the bottle, so what harm could come from waiting a few weeks to see what was going to happen. If I've learned anything from this forum, it's to relax time heals all beer.

This weekend was three weeks in the bottle, nothing had exploded, there wasn't a ring of slime in the neck of the bottle... the beer looked OK so I chilled one bottle for a sample expecting the worst.

There was a nice hiss when I open the bottle. After pouring there was a nice 1/2" of head and a remarkably clear beer. It looked OK, smelled OK, carbonated OK, and tasted GREAT!!!! I psyched and can't wait to drink more of these brews.

Moral of the story: RDWHAHB. Never jump to conclusions about your beer from a green hydro sample, or anything for that matter. NEVER dump your beer!

Thanks HBT! :mug:

applause.gif

Back