Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Rate of settling of dry-hops in Primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #11
pwndabear
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked_Eskimo View Post
JJL -- I dont really have a problem throwing them in and waiting a week....but I worry about my friends who may/may not want to drink homebrew with green floaties in it.
then tell them its a special amazing magical beer that only you and other homebrewers can appreciate because we all know what it's like to homebrew and that they should get their stupid butts out of your house for being little wimpy women. Make sure you give them some Bartles and James for the road.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 09:37 PM   #12
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
JJL -- I dont really have a problem throwing them in and waiting a week....but I worry about my friends who may/may not want to drink homebrew with green floaties in it.
I really haven't had an issue with this. Careful racking helps, but really you just need to avoid stirring up the trub when you rack it. Dry hopping typically doesn't increase the likelihood that you will have floaties. Hop pellets tend to dissolve very quickly and settle out.

Someone mentioned that they usually only have 1 bottle with floaties. This would suggest that the hops settle to the bottom of a vessel within hours or less.

Have you had issues in the past with floaties, or are you just planning ahead?

Old 08-25-2010, 11:46 PM   #13
BeantownR6
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

i use a hop bag over the racking cane and never have any issues. i just toss the hops in the fermentor

Old 08-26-2010, 01:09 AM   #14
Naked_Eskimo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJL View Post
Have you had issues in the past with floaties, or are you just planning ahead?
Nope, this is my first brew. Just planning ahead.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:16 AM   #15
ToddO
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i just rack in the middle as well. You will still get a bunch in the bottling bucket but its not a big deal unless they start to clog your bottling tip, which they always do with mine. Just have to clean it real quick and continue.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #16
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Nope, this is my first brew. Just planning ahead.
Admittedly, I had no idea what to do the first time I dry hopped a beer. It's a technique that isn't really well covered in books or brewing instructions. Most books just mention that it's a technique that involves adding hops to the beer after you've pitched the yeast and leave it at that. I had basically the same questions as you. When do you do it? How long do you leave the hops in for? And how do you get the floaties out of the beer?

The first time I did it, I left the hops in for 3 days (way too short of a time) and I ran the beer through a strainer into the bottling bucket. This was wrong for so many reasons that I wasn't aware of at the time. Although, I didn't have any issues with oxidation (probably just lucky). When I strained it, the strainer didn't catch anything. I also didn't have floaties in the beer. One thing (of many things) the experience taught me was that hops pellets pretty much either dissolve in the beer or very quickly settle into the trub. It doesn't seem to cause any real problems.

Oh, and one other thing. I was using just a siphon tube. I didn't have a racking cane or auto-siphon at the time. So there was nothing preventing the hops from entering the tube.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #17
Naked_Eskimo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks JJL ... guess it's going to be a matter of trial and error and see what happens.

I love my IPAs, but dont want something like dry-hopping and undesirable floaties spoiling my desire to brew this style.

Quick Reply