Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Rate of settling of dry-hops in Primary

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
Naked_Eskimo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 346
Likes Given: 1

Default Rate of settling of dry-hops in Primary

So, I'm coming to the end of my second week in primary for my first brew, and it's almost time to do the dry-hopping step. I intend doing my entire fermentation in primary only, no secondary. This obviously includes the dry-hopping.

My question is how long will the hop pellets stay in suspension after adding them to the carboy? I intend to dry hop for 5-7 days and then bottle immediately. I'd prefer to not have lots of hop pellet material floating everywhere when it comes time to bottle.

So, will the hops have settled to the bottom of the carboy in a week, or would using a sterilized (boiled?) muslin bag be a better move. I'd prefer not to use the bag, since an extra item just ups the possibility of contamination.

__________________
Naked_Eskimo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,389
Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 831

Default

Well, most of the hop pellets will turn into sludge pretty quickly. Some will drop, some won't. What I do is simply start my siphon in the middle of the brew, and lower it as the level drops, so that I siphon from between the floating hops sludge and the trub. The autosiphon has a black tip on the end that helps prevent sucking up big particles of sludge. I've tried doing the bag thing, but I always manage to clog that up, so I just use the siphon. It's not too bad.

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
Naked_Eskimo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 346
Likes Given: 1

Default

Yooper, when referring to the "bag thing", were you referring to i) putting hops in a bag, ii) putting a muslin bag over the tip of the autosiphon, or iii) siphoning through a strainer bag into the bottling bucket?

One thing I noticed when I was using hop bags in the boil, the pellets turned to sludge QUICKLY and some of that sludge made its way out of the bag through the pores. No point using a hop bag if the same thing is going to happen?

__________________
Naked_Eskimo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,389
Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 831

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked_Eskimo View Post
Yooper, when referring to the "bag thing", were you referring to i) putting hops in a bag, ii) putting a muslin bag over the tip of the autosiphon, or iii) siphoning through a strainer bag into the bottling bucket?

One thing I noticed when I was using hop bags in the boil, the pellets turned to sludge QUICKLY and some of that sludge made its way out of the bag through the pores. No point using a hop bag if the same thing is going to happen?
I was referring to using a hops bag (sanitized) over the racking cane. That never worked for me.

I'm not a fan of hops bags, so I rarely use them.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
cedar_lake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 89
Default

Hop bag over the cane got me bubbles in my siphon tube.

__________________
cedar_lake is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
wonderbread23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 1,029
Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I was referring to using a hops bag (sanitized) over the racking cane. That never worked for me.

I'm not a fan of hops bags, so I rarely use them.
I've had similar experience... the hops always clog up the end when using a fabric bag on the tip. One thing that I've used is a piece of wire metal mesh cut off a scour pad. I sanitize it and then stick it over the siphon end. Works pretty good.
__________________
wonderbread23 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
Naked_Eskimo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 346
Likes Given: 1

Default

Yeah, I've read of people using SS scrubbies on the ends of their racking canes to filter out the funk.

As mentioned, this is my first brew. I lost a lot of volume to trub in the boil, so I'm already 1/2 gallon shorter than planned. Dont want to lose any more to hops and funk.

__________________
Naked_Eskimo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 05:09 PM   #8
JJL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: , WI
Posts: 1,278
Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked_Eskimo View Post
Yeah, I've read of people using SS scrubbies on the ends of their racking canes to filter out the funk.

As mentioned, this is my first brew. I lost a lot of volume to trub in the boil, so I'm already 1/2 gallon shorter than planned. Dont want to lose any more to hops and funk.
I would say that the hops are probably the least of your concern if you are worried about losing volume. The majority of your beer loss is going to be from the yeast cake when you rack. The hops pellets aren't really going to contribute to much loss.

Personally, I don't even worry about hops particles from dry hopping. They really don't pose anymore of a problem than flavor or aroma hops. If it were me, I'd just throw them in, wait a week, siphon to a bottling bucket, and bottle. Just my opinion.
__________________
JJL is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
Naked_Eskimo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 346
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJL View Post
I would say that the hops are probably the least of your concern if you are worried about losing volume. The majority of your beer loss is going to be from the yeast cake when you rack. The hops pellets aren't really going to contribute to much loss.

Personally, I don't even worry about hops particles from dry hopping. They really don't pose anymore of a problem than flavor or aroma hops. If it were me, I'd just throw them in, wait a week, siphon to a bottling bucket, and bottle. Just my opinion.
JJL -- I dont really have a problem throwing them in and waiting a week....but I worry about my friends who may/may not want to drink homebrew with green floaties in it.
__________________
Naked_Eskimo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 07:25 PM   #10
alexdagrate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 548
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

As long as you are careful when you rack the beer to your bottling bucket, you should be able to avoid most floaties.

I usually end up with just one bottle having floaties (the last one). I usually drop an additional pellet or two into this bottle and mark it for future reference.

When I open this bottle, I make sure to strain it when pouring it into a glass. "Bottling-hopping" definitely gives the beer some awesome aroma and flavor. It's a bit grassy, but I like it.

__________________
Cascadian Dark Ale: Join the Revolution.

Become a fan of CDA on Facebook.
alexdagrate is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeast settling... problem? ara35 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 01-05-2010 12:04 PM
Settling question? bigdug Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 06-13-2009 09:18 PM
Settling Time? BRBrewer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 12-17-2008 12:00 AM
Yeast Settling in Bottles tomek322 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 04-06-2007 11:03 AM
Yeast settling question cyfan964 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 03-07-2007 02:21 AM