New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Raspberry Wheat Extract Beer Advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #11
tallybrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

After trying a framboise lambic, we wanted to try to make our own. Then we found out that we need an entire separate lambic line of equipment. So we decided instead to just do a raspberry wheat.

We Used a whole can of oregon puree added to the primary. The beer came out good, but the raspberry flavor was much more subtle than I would have liked. Since then I've thought that I would use extract next time.

Don't drink & drive. Don't even putt.
- Dean Martin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #12
dhertel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used the 4oz Raspberry extract on my last wheat beer and added it to the bottling bucket like the instructions said. I think that the raspberry taste was way too strong. I would recommend putting half the raspberry extract in the beer. Unless you like a real strong raspberry flavor then go ahead and mix all 4 oz in the bucket.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #13
crlova2
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallybrewer View Post
After trying a framboise lambic, we wanted to try to make our own. Then we found out that we need an entire separate lambic line of equipment. So we decided instead to just do a raspberry wheat.

We Used a whole can of oregon puree added to the primary. The beer came out good, but the raspberry flavor was much more subtle than I would have liked. Since then I've thought that I would use extract next time.
Did you add it while fermentation was strong? If you add it after fermentation looks done or in the secondary you will get much more raspberry flavor. When you put it in when fermentation is strong or before fermentation begins all of the sugars get eaten up and flavor is lost

Old 09-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #14
tallybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crlova2 View Post
Did you add it while fermentation was strong? If you add it after fermentation looks done or in the secondary you will get much more raspberry flavor. When you put it in when fermentation is strong or before fermentation begins all of the sugars get eaten up and flavor is lost
Thanks for the tip. Yeah, I added it directly to the primary when I pitched the yeast, so I guess that explains it. I just made another batch of this, but this time went with extract when I bottled. If this doesn't come out the way we want, I'll try your suggestion of adding the puree when fermentation slows/stops.

Don't drink & drive. Don't even putt.
- Dean Martin

Old 09-21-2010, 02:35 PM   #15
3PegBrew
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I'm making an All Grain Raspberry Apple wheat beer for Christmas. I'm going with 1+1/2 pounds of frozen Raspberries.

Going to heat them up at 170ish (F) for 15 minutes, scoop off the froth, and rack on top of it in secondary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan View Post
Hitler gave the toothbrush 'stache a bad name...
My Keezer Build

Aller guten dinge sind drei!

Old 09-21-2010, 10:13 PM   #16
drycreek
Recipes 

I did the AHS Raspberry Wheat mini-mash recipe using their raspberry extract and it turned out great. It calls for adding the raspberry extract to the bottling bucket, which was nice because it allowed me to bottle half the beer as a straight wheat (no raspberry), and then add half the extract to the remaining half of the beer.

I'm interested in doing another fruit beer at some point, but I think I might use Oregon puree this time around. Does the Oregon puree significantly increase the sugar in the wort? Wouldn't this increase the ABV quite a bit?

Quick Reply