Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Raspberry Fruit overkill?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 03:30 AM   #1
WahineArt
Aloha Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Raspberry Fruit overkill?

Tonight I did a taste test for my Belgian Wit Raspberry Beer. It's basically a belgian wit kit that I added 6 pounds of raspberry puree to (added to secondary a week before kegging). It's been kegged almost a week now but I have been force carbing it so I can get a decent taster from.

It's good but I'm thinking 6 lbs of puree was overkill because it tastes like a cross between raspberry soda and champagne. The thing that bothers me the most is that there was no head to speak of even though it tastes carb'ed. I'm guessing the fruit overkill might also be killing the head?

I will taste it again in a week to see how it has aged. Even if it doesn't change flavor and mellow into a raspberry beer flavor instead of raspberry champagne flavor I will have to somehow forcefully drink my way thru it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 04:49 AM   #2
Doomsday
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

only been kegged a week? give it a little more time for head to develop.

also.... 6LBS OF RASPBERRY!?!? First off they are a super strong berry, and second I have never heard of anyone putting that much fruit into a beer. I have yet to brew that type of beer though so I would wait for someone more knowledgeable to chime in.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:32 AM   #3
Diaperload
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I made a raspberry wheat beer for my 3rd batch and I used 6lbs of frozen raspberries that I pasteurized.

At first I didn't like the beer but over time it got better and better. It was somewhat sour but in a good way. Maybe tart is a better word than sour.

I'll eventually make another batch. It was somewhat spendy at over 50 bucks for 5 gallons. About 25 bucks for the beer and 25 for the raspberries.

"I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out."

Quick Reply