The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Raspberry Cream Ale - cold crashing - kegging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
xenophobe2020
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Raspberry Cream Ale - cold crashing - kegging

I am planning on making a raspberry cream ale & have a question that i have not really found an answer for in searching.

I am planning on adding fresh raspberries (boiled obviously) rather than extract to impart the flavor, i have read threads stating that its prefectly acceptable & will yield good results if i add them to the primary after fermentation has finished. Obviously this will start a second fermentation & and alcohol to the final product.

Heres my question, if i cold crash (for a few days, week?) after primary fermentation & then add the raspberries, will the yeast reactivate or will the cold crashing prevent them from doing so? Is there a specific amount of time i should cold crash to acheive that?

Please keep in mind i will be kegging & force carbing so i dont care if there is no active yeast for carbing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
dos_perros
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cold crashing before adding the fruit would be a waste of time IMHO, if you want to cold crash to get the yeast to settle out then do that after the fuit has done its thing with the yeasties.

Bottled: AHS Belgian White Ale
OnDeck: Something with fruit for the wife....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
I love having breakfast for dinner. It's one time I can have beer with my breakfast without feeling like a drunk.
"From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world."
–Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

Old 02-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 699 Times on 586 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Cold crashing will not kill the yeast, only precipitate out the inactive yeast. When you add the raspberries, there will still be enough yeast to renew the ferment.

Quick Reply