Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Range Hood Condensation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 01:00 AM   #1
tedscastle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Range Hood Condensation

This must have been discussed before, but I didn't realize the problem existed until I was boiling an AG on the stove. I had read about leaving the lid off, but I soon noticed the water droplets getting ready to to swan dive into my new masterpiece. I placed the lid on to cover their landing area as I proceeded to wipe down the hood. It has been a long time since I have had to clean poppy diapers, but it was almost that bad. If anything made it to the brew, at least the boiling sterilized it, but it may taste like weeks, months or years of greasy dinners.

No wonder so many brew outside, but it was in the teens yesterday and I love the smell of grains and hops in the house. So much to learn. Thanks to all of you for this great place to do it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 05:04 AM   #2
jotakah
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

when I used to brew on a range I'd try to have a helper around to wipe those nasty reddish brown drips with a paper towel

I know I've had some drip into the boil too though, don't think it'll mess up your beer too much

Old 12-23-2011, 05:19 AM   #3
OlatheSurferDude
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have the same problem myself but have not seen any issues with my brews. I do try and keep it wiped down.

2011 Brewed Total - 22.5 Gal
2012 Brewed Total - 12.5 Gal
2012 Goal - 60 Gal

Old 12-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
vipe228
Recipes 

I have made 16 or so brews and always inside on the stove top. I generally do not worry about it too much but if I see them accumulating I just wipe it up. It is going into a boiling pot and sterilized. Most of my brews have been very delicious!

Quick Reply