The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Random Fermentation in secondary ? Video

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
Wingfan13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Random Fermentation in secondary ? Video

So I woke up this morning and went to check on my baby (Two Hearted Ale Clone) and saw this. I dry hopped and this beer has been in the secondary for 7 days now. The hops all floated to the surface and there is some bubbling going on.

Is this fermentation ? Any idea what is going on ? The beer doesn't seem to be clearing and there is air lock bubbling. I broke my hydrometer so no gravity readings were taken. I moved to secondary after 10 days and no air lock activity. I know air lock activity is not a good measure of activity but it is all I had.

Thanks for the help !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Valcarde
Recipes 

Just leave it be.
Get yourself a hydrometer. Give it a week or two, and take a sample. Three days later, take another sample.

If FG hasn't changed, it's ready. But nothing wrong with leaving it even longer to let the yeast clean up a bit more.

Carboy 3: Choco-Caramel Amber Ale

Old 10-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
Bentpirate
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It looks like off-gassing. Hydrometer would be great, however since you already racked to secondary - 7 days is about as long as you want, time to get it moving off the hops. Off gassing could because of simple air temp change and the CO2 is being released. I would not consider these bubbles fermentation. When I dry hopped the other week, I saw the same and proceeded as my plan. All is well.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
Wingfan13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentpirate View Post
It looks like off-gassing. Hydrometer would be great, however since you already racked to secondary - 7 days is about as long as you want, time to get it moving off the hops. Off gassing could because of simple air temp change and the CO2 is being released. I would not consider these bubbles fermentation. When I dry hopped the other week, I saw the same and proceeded as my plan. All is well.
So you are thinking I should bottle now ?

Old 10-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
Bentpirate
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would. I did infact just the other night..... Too much times on hops will cause 'grassy' and nasty flavors

Quick Reply