Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ran out of bottles; Time for first kegging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
FensterBos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Ran out of bottles; Time for first kegging

So, I keep buying cases of 22 oz's to fulfill my beer bottling needs; usually I have enough bottles for each batch. Well, I'll finally caught up to myself and have little to no empty bottles available. I have too many friends that want to take a bottle home.

I can either buy another 24 bottles or finally buy a used keg (keeps my beer in my home). I have the whole set up (CO2 tank, regulator, tap, etc.) except for the actual soda keg.

So, long explanation short, I was hoping you guys can either point me to some literature about carbing and/or let me know what you think is the best method of doing so. Yes, I know this will probably bring up a cliche argument like using a secondary or glass carboy verses plastic bucket, but it can't hurt to see what you guys think.

Thanks!

Fermenting:
15 Gallons of New England Hard Cider - Four yeasts: Ale yeast, two cider yeasts, and a champagne yeast.

Kegged:
Helliday Ale and Chocolate Nitro Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 615

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keg-...strated-73328/

Old 02-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
FensterBos
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

So, force carbing is the best way to go, huh?

Fermenting:
15 Gallons of New England Hard Cider - Four yeasts: Ale yeast, two cider yeasts, and a champagne yeast.

Kegged:
Helliday Ale and Chocolate Nitro Stout

Old 02-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 97

If you DO want to get some more bottles, I've got a bunch of freebies that you're welcome to (a lot of bombers). I'll be out east in a few weeks, at the Utopias 3 brewfest. If you wanted to come hang out with a bunch of us dumb ****s, I'll toss them in the car with me.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
tekknoschtev
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There's several different methods of carbing the beer. I've done the 10-12psi set and forget for a week or two, force carb in a matter of hours at 30-40psi, and naturally carbonating with priming sugar in the keg.

By far, the easiest is set and forget, but that leaves me with one of my four taps not all set to consume for a week or two. The fastest is force carbonating, though I've only done that twice - I understand there's a big risk of over carbonating, which definitely is no fun. Naturally carbonating is nice when I've got 4 full kegs in the fridge, and I want to carbonate another so its ready to go as soon as one is kicked.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
BeerOfThePeepHole
Recipes 

Never hurts to have more bottles; available cheap at the right places.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
lou2row
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FensterBos View Post
I have too many friends that want to take a bottle home.
If they can't wash and bring the bottles back, find new friends. Or tell them to cough up for more new bottles. If they don't think it is worth it, they are cheap deadbeats. Trust me, I've known quite a few of who I speak. Even been related to a few.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Giving bottles out is on one hand great because you want people to try your beer, but I know I can't help but think "... thats 6 empties out the door I might not get back." And to make it worse, I have only 1 family member who drinks anything with pry offs.

I passed over a kegerator a while back, but that might not happen again in the future.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #9
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FensterBos View Post
So, I keep buying cases of 22 oz's to fulfill my beer bottling needs; usually I have enough bottles for each batch. Well, I'll finally caught up to myself and have little to no empty bottles available. I have too many friends that want to take a bottle home.

I can either buy another 24 bottles or finally buy a used keg (keeps my beer in my home). I have the whole set up (CO2 tank, regulator, tap, etc.) except for the actual soda keg.

So, long explanation short, I was hoping you guys can either point me to some literature about carbing and/or let me know what you think is the best method of doing so. Yes, I know this will probably bring up a cliche argument like using a secondary or glass carboy verses plastic bucket, but it can't hurt to see what you guys think.

Thanks!
Then get a couple--they're the cheap part of the setup!

I generally force carb (12 PSI, set and forget), unless the kegerator is full and I know a keg isn't going to go in there for a few weeks. Then I'll prime it with sugar.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 02-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #10
edgeofblade
Recipes 

#1 Keg, unless you have friends that like to take a keg home. Your friends can always bring a growler and fill it up at your place.

#2 It's not excessive to ask your friends to bring you bottles as "payment" for your brew. Neither is it wrong to want those bottles back. Sounds like they need to do their part for your beer and prime the pipeline.

Quick Reply