The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > To rake or not to rake that is the question?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #1
aycockbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default To rake or not to rake that is the question?

my first batch will be a muntons pre hopped bitter ipa. I plan on using a amber DME and safale 04. gonna use the water bath trick. what I was told by the local place. to get a 5 gallon carboy and rake into that after fermentation. do I really need to or can it go straight to bottles. and into the frig or another water bath or my closet.

Great Great Grandson of a pre prohibition griesbeck bro brewery brew master.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
Hernando
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Need to be a little more specific. By water bath are you talking about conntrolling fermentation temps or cooling the wort before racking into the carboy and pitching the yeast?

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Brewing

Last edited by Hernando; 09-20-2011 at 09:49 PM. Reason: don't know what proof reading is.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts

You will probably have less sediment in the bottle if you use a secondary. But strictly speaking, you probably can get by without a secondary (IM-EAC-O). The "cap" button is the one on the left marked "caps lock".

Old 09-20-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
aycockbrews
Recipes 

water bath is gonna be for fermentation. gonna put the bucket in a tote with water and a towel over it.

Great Great Grandson of a pre prohibition griesbeck bro brewery brew master.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
Hernando
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Secondary is not really neccessary. It is for dry hopping, adding fruit, etc. Your beer will clear up more in a secondary but not enough really for the hassle of racking to the secondary. Others swear by the secondary and will say it is neccessary, it all boils down to what you really want to do.

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Brewing

Old 09-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I have less sediment using a month long primary than I ever did when I secondaried.

I don't know about raking, (I try to avoid lawnwork whenever I can) but I keep racking to a minimum.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
Hernando
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I have less sediment using a month long primary than I ever did when I secondaried.
I have done three batches of brew (still new) and first two I put into secondaries and the last I left in primary for 4+ weeks and I can agree completely with this statement. I can notice a HUGE difference after bottling regarding sediment.
O'tega Brewing

Quick Reply