*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Racking to secondary questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
BADS197
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Racking to secondary questions

I looked at my rasberry red ale this morning and the pigment is gone out of the rasberies.

It looks like someone's brain exploded in my fermenter and there is brain matter everywhere.

It's been 6 days...

Is it ok to rack to secondary and let the fermentation continue? I would think all the juice is out of the berries and all that is left is a mess on the top.

Will the fermentation continue in the secondary as in will the yeast be abundant to finish up?

??

thanks

Frosty Nipple Brewing Co.

Bottled
Pumpkin Ale
Faw-Kin Hevy Scotch Ale
Slam Dunkelweizen
GPC American Ale
Not-October Octoberfest Ale

Primary
English Pale Ale
Secondary

Keg
#1 2.5g - Faw-kin Hevy Scotch Ale
#2 2.5g - Nut Brown Ale

Next
American Amber
English Pale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
oberon567
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Plenty of yeast make their way into the secondary. No worries.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:12 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4506 Times on 3277 Posts
Likes Given: 883

I just saw this- and I have to disagree. You should never rack off of the yeast cake until fermentation is finished, and until the yeast have had a chance to "clean up" after themselves. The "secondary" is more properly called a clearing vessel, and in the breweries it's called a "bright tank". That is just a step in clearing and conditioning the beer- no actual fermentation takes place. Some of the older wisdom is to remove the beer from the yeast cake ASAP, to prevent autolysis. But the current practices show that autolysis is not really an issue, and not really a concern for homebrewers who leave their beer up to a month in the primary.

Usually, the beer will drop a point or two after being racked, but you can't count on that.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I just saw this- and I have to disagree. You should never rack off of the yeast cake until fermentation is finished, and until the yeast have had a chance to "clean up" after themselves. The "secondary" is more properly called a clearing vessel, and in the breweries it's called a "bright tank". That is just a step in clearing and conditioning the beer- no actual fermentation takes place. Some of the older wisdom is to remove the beer from the yeast cake ASAP, to prevent autolysis. But the current practices show that autolysis is not really an issue, and not really a concern for homebrewers who leave their beer up to a month in the primary.

Usually, the beer will drop a point or two after being racked, but you can't count on that.
I agree with Yoop on this. And you really can't judge your finished color until it's finished everything, including bottle conditioning, and the beer is happilly sitting in your glass. Even trying to gauge color in the Bright tank, is difficult, since the light refraction of the glass or plastic affects it...in other owrds, walk away from the beer, it is fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-14-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
Engelramm
Recipes 

I agree with Yooper here.
I'm no expert, and I don't want to start a "Secondary or No Secondary" debate, but I leave all of mine in the primary for 3 weeks before I check gravity and bottle. My beers just taste better this way...and they're clearer too.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:48 AM   #6
oberon567
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sorry - I agree with y'all too...

I had read BADS197's post really quickly, and I thought the question was just in regards to whether there would be enough yeast leftover to "finish up," which in my quick glance equated to bottle carbonate.

Wait until your entire fermentation has finished in your primary, and then wait a little longer. Only then decide what to do next, ie go toa secondary if that's your thing, or bottle/keg. (And, at that point, if you choose to bottle, no matter how clear your beer is and no matter how large the yeast cake on the bottom of your primary is, there will more likely than not be more than enough yeast left in solution to carbonate! )

Quick Reply