Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Racking And Secondary Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
PUNKYBREWER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Racking And Secondary Questions

I officially have my beer fermenting on its 4th day today ..
this saturday i wanted to move it into a secondary. i have both of my 6.5 gal buckets with spigots, can i just run a hose from one spigot into the new sanitazed secondary bucket wiothout worries of O2 oxidation? , and as well once this is moved into the secondary can it stay in there for another 5 days , or should the sugars be added and it bottled and let the remianding time go in the bottles?
thanks for your help .. and what about running it through the strainer as it comes out of the tube into the second bucjet? ( i dry hopped in the fermenting bucket and i wanted to try and get as much out as possible and some hopes that may clear the brew up some as well

Last edited by PUNKYBREWER; 05-18-2009 at 03:40 PM. Reason: addition

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
greatfookin
Recipes 

Yes, you can just spigot-hose transfer bucket to bucket no problem, but to keep oxidation to a minimum, keep the transfer hose below the level of the beer in the 2ndary bucket when filling.
Secondary for 5 days is a little quick. For most ales of average gravity, 2 weeks is a good average.
Dry hopping is best done in 2ndary, siphon to bottling bucket w/priming sugar already dissolved awaiting the addition of the beer from 2ndary. Do not(1) - 2ndary with your priming sugar, or(2)- "bottle secondary".
First example, your yeasties will eat your priming sugar, and won't be there come bottling, SECOND EXAMPLE = BOTTLE BOMBS

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
-- Benjamin Franklin

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein ~ ’ Beyond This Horizon ‘ (1942)

http://www.freewebs.com/greatfookinbrewery/
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...eal142x172.jpg

Old 05-18-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
PUNKYBREWER
Recipes 

So From Fermenter To Secondary, Wait Another 14 Days .. Then From Secondary To Bottling Bucket With Priming Sugars , And To Bottles Immedialty After Correct ? Thanks So Much For The Tips!!!!

Old 05-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

make sure you take your gravity readings before moving it to a secondary to make sure your gravity is where you want it. If it's not, leave it in the primary. FYI I leave my brews in the primary for 3-4 weeks on average.

I would not run the wort through a strianer as your racking to a secondary because that would airate the crap out of it.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
SmugMug
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I find the autosiphon does a decent job at filtering when racking. It certainly doesn't catch everything, but it get the job done.

Good enough for government work. Then again, look at their "cheese"...

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Poor planning on your part doesn't necessitate an emergency on mine.

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Old 05-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
histo320
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Brandon FL!!!!! I have friends that live in Seffner. I love Tampa/St. Pete!

I have only used my racking wand for transferring and I have had no problems but your method seems like a good plan.

Drinking - The Plinian Legacy, Cream of Three Crops
Primary - Air
Secondary - Air
Up Next - Oberon Clone

Old 05-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
PUNKYBREWER
Recipes 

Thanks sop much for the help guys .. i really appreciate it .. i have had a few doiffrent comments though , some say to bottle it after 10 days of fermenting , some say 10 days int he fermenter , 10 days in seondary ? im confused this is supposed to be a nice pale blonde ..
i dont want to over do it with the fermenting and aging process ..
al;so when it goes in the seondary , i have to use a airlock on it as well correct?
i was hoping to most of my aging in the bottle but now i dont know ..

Old 05-19-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
Corkster
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

No worries about over doing it..... You can leave that beer in the bucket for a looooong time without a problem.........

under-doing it is a problem however as you could very easily end up with exploding bottles....

Most folks will recommend the 1-2-3 method for us newbs.... 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, then 3 weeks in the bottle...then drink like crazy!

oh yeah.... use an airlock

Give a man a beer and he'll drink for a minute. Teach a man to brew beer and you've created a monster.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkster View Post

Most folks will recommend the 1-2-3 method for us newbs.... 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, then 3 weeks in the bottle...then drink like crazy!

oh yeah.... use an airlock
Actually you will find that on here MOST people would NOT say use the 1-2-3 method.

Many of us leave our beers in primary for 3-4 weeks, skip secondary and bottle. Just search for the 10,000 threads under "long Primary" or "no secondary" and you will see all the resaons why we do it, and the explanations behind...There's at least one thread a day on the topic, so it's really not hard to find the discussion pretty much hashed to death.

but if you choose to secondary you should wait til your Hydrometer tells you fermentation is complete.

If I do secondary (which is only when I am adding fruit or oak) I wait 14 days then rack for another 2 weeks...then I bottle.

But that's only if I am dry hopping or adding oak or fruit, which I rarely do, so for me it's a month than bottle,

Honestly you will find your beer will be the best if you ignore the kit instructions, and don't rush it.

But Even Palmer says you should wait with kits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by How To Brew
Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.
Your beer will thank you for waiting....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

When I'm in a hurry I do 10 days primary, then 10 days secondary (be sure it's reached FG in primary first) then bottle. That's a bare minimum for me, usually it's 14 days primary then 14 days secondary. Once you have a pipeline full of beer coming ready, it's much easier to wait

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Quick Reply