The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Racking To Secondary Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
eighteez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Racking To Secondary Question

When siphoning to secondary fermenter. Is it correct to leave behind all sediment?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
nebben
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Yes. As long as primary fermentation is done, then yes.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

That's typically the purpose of a secondary.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
eighteez
Recipes 

what the book I'm reading says is 1-5 bubbles per minute max on the airlock means primary fermentation is completed.

Would you agree?

Old 09-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteez View Post
what the book I'm reading says is 1-5 bubbles per minute max on the airlock means primary fermentation is completed.

Would you agree?
Definitely not.....

The only accurate "sign of fermentation" will tell you what is happening is your hydrometer reading. "Airlock bubbling" that is NOT a trustworthy thing to go by.

Whether it's in a conical, a bucket, or a carboy, it's the same thing. An airlock is a VENT, a VALVE to release excess co2, nothing more.

If it's not bubbling it just means that there no excess co2 to be vented out.

A beer may ferment perfectly fine without a single blip in the airlock. Or can stop bubbling when the yeast STILL has a lot of work to do.

That's why you need to take a gravity reading to know how your fermentation is going, NOT go by airlocks. The most important tool you can use is a hydrometer. It's the only way you will truly know when your beer is ready...airlock bubbles and other things are faulty.

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

Thinking about "doing anything" like repitching, or bottling, or racking, without first taking a hydrometer reading is tantamount to the doctor deciding to cut you open without running any diagnostic tests....Taking one look at you and saying, "Yeah I'm going in." You would really want the doctor to use all means to properly diagnose what's going on?

Fermentation is thought to have finished when the gravity has not changed for 2 readings over three consequitive days.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
eighteez
Recipes 

great advice, thanks again Revvy.

This of course brings up an important question... How to I take hydrometer readings with a sealed up fermenter bucket I am not supposed to open?

Old 09-16-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

You open the bucket of course ....you beer's not that weak that you can't do something that is recommended by every book, website, etc.

This is what I use, and it works with both buckets and carboys. I replaced the plastic one a year ago with an extra long stainless baster from a kitchen ware store and it is awesome. But the plastic one from any grocery store works fine.

And

Here's what I do....

1) With a spray bottle filled with starsan I spray the lid of my bucket, or the mouth of the carboy, including the bung. Then I spray my turkey baster inside and out with sanitize (or dunking it in a container of sanitizer).

2) Open fermenter.

3) Draw Sample

4) fill sample jar (usualy 2-3 turky baster draws

5)Spray bung or lid with sanitizer again

6) Close lid or bung

6) take reading

It is less than 30 seconds from the time the lid is removed until it is closed again.

Probably less if you have help. And unless a bird flies in your place and lets go with some poop, you should be okay.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteez View Post
great advice, thanks again Revvy.

This of course brings up an important question... How to I take hydrometer readings with a sealed up fermenter bucket I am not supposed to open?
you have to open it and steal a sample. some folks use a special tool called a wine thief. Some people use a simple turkey baster.

edit: me personally.... i just wait a couple of weeks and get on with it. No gravity readings.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
you have to open it and steal a sample. some folks use a special tool called a wine thief. Some people use a simple turkey baster.

edit: me personally.... i just wait a couple of weeks and get on with it. No gravity readings.
Yep... On the rare times I do use a secondary I wait 14 days before racking, and don't take one till bottlign day...and obviously on the majority of times I opt for the month long primary, I also wait til bottling day...SO I only take 2 one before yeastpitch and one on bottling day...

Old 09-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #10
eighteez
Recipes 

is there an advantage of leaving the beer in the fermenter longer than 2 weeks of the gravity has stabilized?

1 week in primary, 1 week in secondary is my plan. I'll take readings on each of the last 3 days of week 2. If its stabilized I'll bottle it. (14 days since the boil)

I've seen talk of longer fermentation times. If the gravity has stabilized, and it seems that is should be, why leave it in there longer?

Quick Reply