The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Racking to secondary advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
hops2it
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default Racking to secondary advice

I haven't yet purchased a hydrometer and have typically just went with about a 3 week primary. On my current batch, I have a desire to rack to secondary and dry hop. As of tomorrow, I'll have 9 days in the primary and there's no activity in the air gap. Do you think I'd be ok to transfer to secondary tomorrow? I was planning to leave it there for a week.

After much reading here, I'm going to get a hydrometer but I'm looking for thoughts at this stage of the game.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Spludge
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nine days seems like an awfully short primary. I like your three week primary much better! Then do the secondary.

Schadenfreud Brewing
Beer and hockey, the reasons I wake up every afternoon

Fermenting
Jamil's Russian Imperial Stout, RIS Partigyle, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Denny Conn RyeIPA, BierMuncher's B.W. #2

Bottle Conditioning/Drinking
Jamil's ESB, Honey Raspberry,EdWort's Bavarian Hefe, Oatmeal Stout, Jamil's Amber Ale, BierMuncher's Belgian Wit, Red Ale, Kitchen Sink, Yeasty Beasty Hefe, American Pale, Zone Zero Black, Maibock

Foster School of Business

Husky Ice Hockey

Old 05-05-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
flagman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

You will get a ton of different idea's about this. I have moved beer in 7 days and have left it in the same vessel for 28 days. Most of the time 10-14 days is long enough to complete primary fermentation with an ale at optimal temps. Is that long enough to clear up any off flavors? Who can say depends on what your brewing and how big a beer you are brewing.

I bet it is safe to move from a fermentation stand point but I would give it at least 14 days and that should have any diacetyl or other off flavors cleared up by then.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
maffewl
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The very first time I moved to a secondary, I did it at 14 days. Now I wait at least 3 weeks if possible, but 14 days is fine if needed.

_

Digital Temperature Controller build:
Click Here

Bottle Cutter build:
Click Here

Old 05-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If getting proper attenuation is important to the recipe (and it usually is), then you want to make sure that fermentation is complete i.e. an appropriate and stable terminal gravity has been reached. So, get that hydrometer.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 05-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Yeast have more work to do after fermentation has finished. The best thing I have done to improve my beers is to let them sit in Primary at the very least 3 weeks with 4 being the norm. Clean clear beer.

Quick Reply