Racking Second Batch, Final Gravity Reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panzermann

Reaction score
I am racking my second batch, it has been in Primary for 8 days now.

The OG was 1.090, I just took a reading before racking and it is at 1.012

I'm thinking I have a good batch of brew here :rockin:

What say you folks?

This is my Dos Equis Amber Clone

I say go for it if that FG is what's called for. Your yeasties were kicking some arse in there though. That dropped a lot quickly.

Don't really know without seeing your recipe if it is done, but that is 87% attenuation which is good. Personally, I would never bottle after only 8 days. The yeasts may be done converting sugars into alcohol, but I like to let them do more work "cleaning up" any off flavors.

Don't really know without seeing your recipe if it is done, but that is 87% attenuation which is good. Personally, I would never bottle after only 8 days. The yeasts may be done converting sugars into alcohol, but I like to let them do more work "cleaning up" any off flavors.

I racked this into secondary, I did not bottle it anything.

My notes on this batch are as follows

Panzermann said:
12/9/2008

Brewmart Mexican Style Kit

5 gallons of Spring Water
2lbs Light DME
7g Coopers Yeast
6g Glass Carboy

Water came to a boil and I stirred Extract and DME for 20-25min
Was aiming for 72 degrees..found it kinda hard and ended with 68-69 degrees
Shook the carboy the best I could
Pitched Yeast and Enzyme
Shook the carboy again the best I could
OG of 1.090 (a little high)

Slight Airlock movement 30-40 minutes after placing Airlock on.

12/17/2008 6:05PM

Began racking into secondary and took final gravity reading.

FG = 1.012

This was my first batch that went nuts during fermentation, I had to switch to a blow-off tube. :)

How can I determine ABV%?

Ok, as soon as I posted asking about ABV% I looked it up in BeerSmith and got this

SG = 1.090
FG = 1.012

ABV = 10.2%
ABW = 8.0%

Apparent Attenuation = 85.6%
Real Attentuation = 69.0%

Total Calories = 412Cal/Pint
Calories from Alcohol = 289Cal/Pint

Damn, now that is a strong ass beer? Can that be right? lol

Nutritional Information

* ABV: 8.2
* IBU: 19.3
* SRM: 5.1
* Calories: 222.0

Thats from Destination beer so you are right around there. I never knew that beer was that strong before!!!

But then Realbeer.com has it at 4.8% so I am not sure. The OG seems high but I am not the one to ask haha.

Nutritional Information

* ABV: 8.2
* IBU: 19.3
* SRM: 5.1
* Calories: 222.0

Thats from Destination beer so you are right around there. I never knew that beer was that strong before!!!

But then Realbeer.com has it at 4.8% so I am not sure. The OG seems high but I am not the one to ask haha.

Well I did use 2lbs DME instead of corn sugar. That will always kick it up a notch, I used 3lbs DME in a Bock beer I have. I am not sure what the deal with it is, I did not have nor take a hydrometer reading at first. It ended in a ****ty 1.019..I rushed it to bottles just to get it over with. I had it in secondary 2 days, this one is staying in secondary the full time baby! :rockin:

This and my 3rd batch I have high hopes for. Can you take a hydrometer reading on a beer after it has been bottled and opened and determine an accurate reading?

Good question. I don't know how carbonation would effect a reading but I am sure it would throw it off.

After a quick read it seems that carbing would lower your gravity reading but you could de-carb the beer ahead of time and warm it close to 60 degrees to get the best reading. The carbing will still probably affect the reading but you could get close. You are going to waste a beer though.

You could stir it to lose carbonation etc...

I don't mean to poke holes in your logic here, but are you sure you read the hydrometer right? I ask because the only fermentables listed in the recipe that you posted above are 2 lbs of Light DME.

DME usually produces around 42 points/pound/gallon. So if you used two pounds in a one gallon batch, your OG would have been 1.084 or so. In a five gallon batch that would have been 1.017 or so.

I'm thinking that either you misread the hydrometer, or there are ingredients that got left off the list posted above.

Brian

I don't mean to poke holes in your logic here, but are you sure you read the hydrometer right? I ask because the only fermentables listed in the recipe that you posted above are 2 lbs of Light DME.

DME usually produces around 42 points/pound/gallon. So if you used two pounds in a one gallon batch, your OG would have been 1.084 or so. In a five gallon batch that would have been 1.017 or so.

I'm thinking that either you misread the hydrometer, or there are ingredients that got left off the list posted above.

Brian

Neither...I posted everything I used and I know how to read a hydrometer. The OG seemed a little high at the time and that could have been due to temperature. This was a 5g batch of brew

I don't see how 2# of DME could give you 90 points OG, but regardless that's no Dos Equis Amber clone! Maybe a double Amber!

I don't see how 2# of DME could give you 90 points OG, but regardless that's no Dos Equis Amber clone! Maybe a double Amber!

It was super DME. haha

I don't know either, I knew that 1.090 was high at the time. I am wondering how I can figure out what ABV% I will have when it comes time to drink? 6-7ish I hope.

The Brewmart kits include a 3.75 pound can which is the main part of the kit. That's liquid extract with the hops already boiled in.

Even still, 1.090 is an impossibly high number for one 3.75 lb can of LME and 2 lbs of DME in a 5 gallon batch. Assuming you measured gravity after adding your top-off water, it may not have been thoroughly mixed and you got a heavy sample. Beercalculus says this would make a 1.040-1.047 gravity wort and if it finished at 1.012 that's about 4.4% ABV.

The Brewmart kits include a 3.75 pound can which is the main part of the kit. That's liquid extract with the hops already boiled in.

Even still, 1.090 is an impossibly high number for one 3.75 lb can of LME and 2 lbs of DME in a 5 gallon batch. Assuming you measured gravity after adding your top-off water, it may not have been thoroughly mixed and you got a heavy sample. Beercalculus says this would make a 1.040-1.047 gravity wort and if it finished at 1.012 that's about 4.4% ABV.

Yes, I think my inability to get a complete stir had something to do with the obviously high OG reading. I used my 6g Glass Carboy and did not have anything to get a good stir so I shook it as violently as possible at the time.

Back