Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Racking and Rocking
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2006, 08:55 PM   #1
Blender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Blender's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Cruz, CA.
Posts: 3,116
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Racking and Rocking

I am bottling my first batch this morning made from a Coopers kit. I got beer on the floor from the open valve of the bottling bucket during siphoning and also from the bottle filler. Where do I put this thing while grabbing some more bottles? I have foam overflowing the bottles and still more sticky beer on the floor. What have I got myself into? . At least it doesn't taste like vinegar or socks. Anyway,Chris Isaak is blasting from the computer and I am feeling like the newbie that I am.

I can begin drinking this on Saturday right ?
I'm gonna need some help for the next batch. Thanks for listening.

Peace

__________________
Blender is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,236
Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
I am bottling my first batch this morning made from a Coopers kit. I got beer on the floor from the open valve of the bottling bucket during siphoning and also from the bottle filler. Where do I put this thing while grabbing some more bottles? I have foam overflowing the bottles and still more sticky beer on the floor. What have I got myself into? . At least it doesn't taste like vinegar or socks. Anyway,Chris Isaak is blasting from the computer and I am feeling like the newbie that I am.

I can begin drinking this on Saturday right ?
I'm gonna need some help for the next batch. Thanks for listening.

Peace
I always keep my empty bottles within arms reach when filling. I never have to put down the bottling wand to grab more of them. If something happens and I *do* need to step away for a second, I actually turn the wand sideways and lay it on a clean towel on the floor.

As for drinking it this weekend.... you will probably be disappointed. It will be sweet (from the priming sugar still in there), flat (because you didn't give it enough time to carbonate) and will taste 'green' (because it really wants a few weeks for the flavors to mellow out and be ready.)

At best, I would think you might be able to drink this in the first weekend of February (Super Bowl Sunday).

-walker
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2006, 09:01 PM   #3
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Baron von BeeGee's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barony of Fuquay-Varina, NC
Posts: 5,419
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Default

A good tip I read here is to bottle on the door of your dishwasher with the bucket on the counter above it...then you just shut the door and hit rinse and nothing gets on your floor. Prior to that I usually bottled on top of several towels.

As to the bottling wand, I usually get all my bottles ready to go before filling, but if I have to put it down and go away for a few minutes I shut the valve on my bottling bucket and stick the wand in the next bottle I'll be filling.

__________________
Baron von BeeGee is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2006, 09:06 PM   #4
Truble
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Truble's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,106
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

I use a spring loaded filler tip and I get minimal drippage when filling. I do put a towel down to catch anything minor. As for siphoning, it is a matter of practice. After doing it a couple times you will get the hang of it. I do recommend getting one of the thumb squeeze line locks that you can slide over the flexible syphon tube. if you need to stop it, just squeeze it. As long as you dont disturb the line, your syphon will be preserved-just unlock it and you are ready to go. Using a bottle filler, you shouldin't get any foam, since the tip will be submerged during the fill.

As for leaving the valve open when filling the bucket, I think everyone does that at least once

__________________
Even the strongest blade of grass bends in the wind
--------------------------------------------

Primary: Octoberfest
mini 1G Primary: nichts
Secondary #1: #97 Pale Ale
Secondary #2 nichts
Bottled/Conditioning: nichts

Fully ConditionedDrinking: nichts
All Gone!:
Everything

Truble is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2006, 09:07 PM   #5
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,236
Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truble
As for leaving the valve open when filling the bucket, I think everyone does that at least once
{raises hand and grins sheepishly}
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Kaiser's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pepperell, MA
Posts: 3,904
Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

That's why I do all my brewing stuff (including bottling) outside on the patio. Very easy clean-up.

As for the wand. You don't even have to close the valve. Just stick it into the next bottle. When you don't press down, you shouldn't get any beer out of it. If you do, get a new wand.

Kai

__________________
BrauKaiser.com - brewing science blog - Twitter - water and mash chemistry calculator
Kaiser is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2006, 09:12 PM   #7
Blender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Blender's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Cruz, CA.
Posts: 3,116
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker
As for drinking it this weekend.... you will probably be disappointed. It will be sweet (from the priming sugar still in there), flat (because you didn't give it enough time to carbonate) and will taste 'green' (because it really wants a few weeks for the flavors to mellow out and be ready.)

At best, I would think you might be able to drink this in the first weekend of February (Super Bowl Sunday).

-walker
Thanks for the advice. I was being facetious about drinking it Saturday but come Super Bowl Sunday I will definately be working them over.

Bee Gee .... I don't know why turning of the valve did not occur to me but that should work very well. Thanks
__________________
Blender is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2006, 09:14 PM   #8
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,236
Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
Thanks for the advice. I was being facetious about drinking it Saturday but come Super Bowl Sunday I will definately be working them over.
I HOPED that was sarcasm, but I wasn't sure and didn't want you to feel like something was wrong this weekend when your beer wasn't very good.



-walker
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2006, 11:48 PM   #9
casebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 847
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

A valve on the bottling bucket? Gee, thats 2 posts today that mentioned that....I've just been jamming the hose up under the bail on the bucket. But I do seem to loose it once every batch....maybe I oughta make another trip to home depot?

__________________

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

casebrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2006, 12:52 AM   #10
Blender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Blender's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Cruz, CA.
Posts: 3,116
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by casebrew
A valve on the bottling bucket? Gee, thats 2 posts today that mentioned that....I've just been jamming the hose up under the bail on the bucket. But I do seem to loose it once every batch....maybe I oughta make another trip to home depot?
It is just a plastic bucket with a hole drilled about and inch or so from the bottom and spigot valve that can be screwed in for flow control. It works great.
__________________
Blender is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 Starters - 1 is rocking, 1 is sucking...what to do? Stevorino All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 06-06-2008 02:53 PM
Rocking The Primary Wild Duk General Techniques 5 03-24-2008 07:25 PM
question about the rocking method of carbonation miatawnt2b Bottling/Kegging 4 10-16-2007 10:24 PM
I'm rocking the Old Style Light tall-boy Cheesefood General Beer Discussion 4 07-22-2007 02:34 PM