Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Racking onto yeast cake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 03:17 AM   #1
dirtymartini
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Racking onto yeast cake

I have a Sierra Nevada clone in my primary that I will be racking into my secondary. I plan on brewing a Magic Hat #9 clone next. Can I pour the wort from the Magic Hat clone into the yeast cake left behind by the Sierra Nevada clone with out giving it any funky flavors? I ordered liquid yeast with the Magic Hat clone, but can always save that for the next brew right?

Also, what would happen if I added the liquid yeast and racked onto the yeast cake...an explosion????

Quote:
He brews beer AND is a pilot. There is no female on this planet that would tolerate both of those time- and money-consuming hobbies at once.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2007, 03:22 AM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Sure you can do this and many do. What you have is a great big starter. It is generally best to do lower gravity beers first and then the larger gravities beers 2nd. There is no need to add additional yeast but I would use a blow off tube so there are no worries.

Gary

Old 01-13-2007, 08:58 PM   #3
dirtymartini

Recipes 

Default Trub?

Do I need to get rid of any of the trub from the first batch, or can it stay in there?

Quote:
He brews beer AND is a pilot. There is no female on this planet that would tolerate both of those time- and money-consuming hobbies at once.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Seeing as how the yeast and trub is normally mixed together I think you will have to leave it there.I might try to get out all the extra wort if possible.

Gary

Old 01-13-2007, 09:45 PM   #5
dirtymartini

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
Seeing as how the yeast and trub is normally mixed together I think you will have to leave it there.I might try to get out all the extra wort if possible.
I tried to screen out most of the heavy stuff when I went from the brew pot to the primary, so it doesn't look too bad. No matter what, it will still be beer right?

I would really like to try AG, but want to get few more extract brews under my belt (both literally and figuratively!)

Quote:

Old 10-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
37OliveStBrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just came along this thread and want to be sure I am hearing this right. If I have beer A in a fermenter which I am going to rack off and I am brewing wort for beer B I can just rack beer B onto the yeast cake left over from beer A and I don't have to pitch any more yeasts (read buy anymore yeast).

If this is true this hobby just got a bit more fun. Buying yeast doesn't bother me and yes I realize you want to use the right yeast but if you can save here or there it makes it a lot more interesting.

Hope to have this confirmed by someone.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You can indeed rack off beer A and pour new wort right on top of beer A's yeast cake, trub and all.
The second beer should be bigger in all ways so that the flavors from beer A do not overwhelm beer B.
There are a few people around that are vehemently opposed to this practice since it is overpitching considerably for most beer. I racked a 2.5 gallon of BW on the cake of a 5 gallon pale ale. I seemed to work very well.
In addition, if your sanitation practices are not strong, you could be introuble doing this...
I would say do it once and then read this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yea...strated-41768/

Old 10-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37OliveStBrews View Post
Just came along this thread and want to be sure I am hearing this right. If I have beer A in a fermenter which I am going to rack off and I am brewing wort for beer B I can just rack beer B onto the yeast cake left over from beer A and I don't have to pitch any more yeasts (read buy anymore yeast).

If this is true this hobby just got a bit more fun. Buying yeast doesn't bother me and yes I realize you want to use the right yeast but if you can save here or there it makes it a lot more interesting.

Hope to have this confirmed by someone.
Yep. I have a barleywine that was fermented on a centenniel blond yeast cake... gonna repeat the process ( different first beer but even lighter) this week sometime......HOWEVER if you are really into saving some money ( not a huge amount, it is just cool to me to do this) look into YEAST WASHING. I have done it twice now and it works like a charm.
Never mind.. I lloked at Northernlads link AFTER I posted.. there ya go!
BALDGUT BREWS

Quick Reply