The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > racking new batch over previous yeast cake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 03:31 AM   #1
Matteo57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Default racking new batch over previous yeast cake

So, I have washed my yeast only 2 times so far. I prevoiusly brewed a pale ale using 1056 and I want to brew a brown tomorrow using the same yeast. I planned on just racking the pale into a keg during brewing and then racking brown into primary I used for pale. Should be fine right? Those that do this often without washing yeast, do you get any off flavors or odd ones mixed in? I am doing a hazelnut brown.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 03:41 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Every time I racked directly to a cake, the beer was a bit insipid. I attributed it to over-pitching. Others will likely disagree, but a whole yeast cake is certainly a lot more yeast than convention suggests to be proper pitching rates.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-07-2012, 05:06 AM   #3
frankstoneline
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
Every time I racked directly to a cake, the beer was a bit insipid. I attributed it to over-pitching. Others will likely disagree, but a whole yeast cake is certainly a lot more yeast than convention suggests to be proper pitching rates.
I've had similar outcomes. Draw a cup or two of the slurry from the carboy in a (sanatized) jar, cap the jar, rinse/sanitize the carboy, rack beer, empty jar into wort, aerate well, insert airlock.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
strambo
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
I've had similar outcomes. Draw a cup or two of the slurry from the carboy in a (sanatized) jar, cap the jar,
I basically did this last time.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
Jdk261
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I've racked directly on a "used" yeast cake with no problem before...I've also done it and gotten bad results. Most likely if you are racking a bigger beer onto the yeast cake than what was originally on it, you'll be fine. Just do it, then you'll know what to do next time. These interwebs will give you a mixed bag of answers every time.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
WooHokie
Recipes 

Sorry for the stupid question, but the slurry is the stuff on the bottom, not the krausen ring?

Old 03-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
BradleyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankstoneline View Post
I've had similar outcomes. Draw a cup or two of the slurry from the carboy in a (sanatized) jar, cap the jar, rinse/sanitize the carboy, rack beer, empty jar into wort, aerate well, insert airlock.
'

+1

Pitch the correct amount of slurry and wash your fermenter. Your beer & taste buds will thank you.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
BradleyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooHokie View Post
Sorry for the stupid question, but the slurry is the stuff on the bottom, not the krausen ring?
correct the slurry is the cake at the bottom.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdk261 View Post
I've racked directly on a "used" yeast cake with no problem before...I've also done it and gotten bad results. Most likely if you are racking a bigger beer onto the yeast cake than what was originally on it, you'll be fine. Just do it, then you'll know what to do next time. These interwebs will give you a mixed bag of answers every time.
FWIW, my results from racking directly onto a yeast cake certainly weren't "bad". They were just...well...slightly less good. Yeast growth has consequences for the flavor profile of the beer, and by most standards a little bit of yeast growth is desirable. If you believe that pitching rates matter, pitching on a yeast cake is undeniably over-pitching.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
WooHokie
Recipes 

I've never used slurry to repitch. I'm curious about this. Do you have to do a starter or anything, or can you literally just throw the slurry on top of new wort and have it go to town?

Quick Reply